world record grizzly bear killed with 22

The oldest known wild Kodiak bear was a 34-year-old sow. The man emptied his semi-automatic 7mm magnum rifle into the bear, killing it in the nick of time. Bears were most dangerous when they stood up, especially grizzly bears. It came within a few yards of them. Yep. p. 276, More Bear Tales The Argument Against the Argument Against Silencers, Jeff Knoxs Letter to the NRA Re: Rules Changes, Get Ready for the Invasion of Canadian Feral Super Pigs, NM Gov. Brain through ear or heart shots. The Bear was reported to be shot with a .22 Long. "When grizzly bears attack, they . Make sure to. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the It was good that the weather was cool. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. My father taught me that when I was 13. It was scored at 27316 by Boone and Crockett measurers and stands as the largest hunter-killed grizzly ever taken by any method. Make sure. /S. Can a wolf kill a grizzly bear? They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they saw a large grizzly following the same survey line toward them. May 10, 1957, she killed a massive grizzly bear with her Cooey Ace #1 .22. And that it was on the cut line, the forestry cut line outside of town. The account of the incident appeared in a popular book, "Book of a Hundred Bears" published in 1909 by F.D. Breathe. The huge boar came right to the bait and flopped down, facing us but without giving me a shot, so I had a chance to collect myself. The subspecies U. a. horribilis is limited to North America and . However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. Your street cred is tied to yours and your client trophies and your recent world record gets bested by a quiet lady with a .22? This was the first time he had hit the bait, so I figured the chances were good that he would be back at least once more. why couldnt she just scare it off or gently wound it, asked the Liberal snowflake. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". During the ride out, listening to the hum of the two-stroke, I reflected on the amazing experience, replaying it in my head. A trapper neither needed nor wanted the extra velocity of the Long Rife rimfire rounds for two reasons: undamaged pelts bring a premium dollar, and .22 Long Rife rounds were more expensivejust speculating here. If it were not for the evidence, this would be hard to believe as true. People said two things. Reinhold, a well-known hunting guide, learned that he had shot the biggest grizzly in North America. But most of the detail in the story I was able to research on the Internets and in relatively unrelated books. Nineteen years later, I have yet to top him. The man-eating monster Alaska bear that refuses to die in cyberspace was shot in fall 2001 on Prince William Sound's Hinchinbrook Island by a then-22-year-old airman from Eielson Air Force Base . I lived in Slave Lake when Bella shot this bear. There was also at least one case where a .22 was used to kill and elephant. MOUNTAIN LION. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. It was Dave Auger, her guy. This way loud centerfire shots would not affect other Moose in the vicinity for the clients ~! Bullshit aside. I'm glad it killed the bear, however, That had to be a very sick feeling to realize that your life depended on a single shot 22, long at that! About 1200 fps, I think. The huge grizzly was a world record in 1953. It fell 7/16 of an inch short of the current overall Boone & Crockett record grizzly bear--a skull found in Alaska back in 1976 that measured 27 and 13/16 inches. Installed by Google Analytics, _gid cookie stores information on how visitors use a website, while also creating an analytics report of the website's performance. A reward of $40,000 is being offered for information leading to the arrest and a conviction in the most recent case. It does not store any personal data. Some folks say it was Dave Auger, Twins companion that killed the bear. She was probably under five feet tall. Ill add one more speculation. If you are planning a grizzly hunt or only dreaming of one, a big question is which rifle to use. and a record to go with it. The giant bear weighed 966 kg (2,130 lb) when he died in June 1987 at the age of 22. "Death in the Long Grass" author, Peter Hathaway Capstick, claimed he once killed an elephant on a bet with a .22 LR. And, you know, it's walking or standing because if it saw them might have stood and then she wants it to look down so she can shoot it. They wont just kill you. In the book, Bella is surprised by the bear that suddenly rises above them in the bush, arms raised high. So he (Larry Loyie) said it had to have surprised them. Each piece has great meaning to me. some few years ago i came across a blog that told of an Inuit grandmother taking down a brown bear that was trying to claw its way into her cabin (seems ineffectually). Rodney Debias of Windber, Pennsylvania took an Alaskan grizzly bear in 2009 that was officially recognized as the new Pope & Young world record in 2016. Tyler Freel is a Staff Writer for Outdoor Life. I had undoubtedly taken one of the largest interior grizzly bears in the world, ironically, with my Bears Paw recurve and Grizzly broadheads. The huge grizzly was a world record in 1953. (If only for a very short time thanks to Twins Cooey Ace, calm demeanor, and marksmanship.) I had experienced the greatest adventure of my life while spending two weeks with my friends in the Alaskan bush. Tyler Freel That may have happened here. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. The genetics are still on the landscape, and the bears have not been pursued by hunters since the close of the 2005 season. It did not qualify for Pope and Young because Debias used a Lumenok on his arrow. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Author Larry Loyie, Bellas grandson, was proud of his grandmother. British Columbia, that a hunter has killed what may be the largest grizzly bear ever shot. YouTube sets this cookie via embedded youtube-videos and registers anonymous statistical data. A Franco-Canadian man died after being attacked by a grizzly bear in a remote area of Canada last week, police announced on Monday. Id think that a .22 would just glance off their skull. They shot the elephant to make it turn so they could shoot it with the big rifle, but it just stood and then fell over. Cant imagine that choice of need to shoot or not and ones survival counted on it. I was ecstatic to get my first big game animala bull moose with 60-inch-wide antlersbut I didnt truly appreciate how nice of a bull he was. I knew he wouldnt go far, as I could hear him sucking air through the wound. I recall buying longs in the middle 1960s from a gas station. I smiled when I saw her holding her rifle. Twin wasnt some trigger-happy loon with no forest experience. It was too early. 165. In her mind, she had a gun and felt she needed to defend herself. Okay, fearlesstotally. I was told the Eskimos and native Indians use the single shot 22lr riffle to kill the big bears like this because of a natural trait the bears have of standing on their hind legs when they attack, growling and opening their mouths. Grizzly Bear Yellowstone is home to both grizzly bears (above) and black bears. Read the whole Bella Twin grizzly story here. The Buffalo waited for him to come down. That bear scored 26 10/16, 3/16 higher. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. It took 60 rounds form a 22 to kill a black bear here in Colorado. Stent seems to have one of the best descriptions of the event on the Internet. I heard the black bear again, closer this time, and as soon as the grizzly started to stand, I drew my bow. Over the past several years, the area where my hunting buddies and I bait black bears has become overrun with grizzlies. Youtube - Track the views of embedded videos. From backpack sheep hunting adventure stories to DIY tips to gear and gun reviews, he covers it all with a perspective thats based in experience. The world-record skull was found by a hiker in 1976, and is just 7/16ths of an inch larger. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". The Cooey Ace 1 is 33 inches long. At 3:30 a.m. one morning, Jim Landess heard banging on his Sterling, Alaska, home. It scored 27 13/16. Seeing that bear had an unexplainable effect on me, and a few months later, I got a tattoo of his left front paw print on my shoulder. The elders also said that to run from a grizzly was certain death., When students asked him about the bear, Larry told them this was probably what took place. A day after seeing him, I found a set of his tracks on a mud bar nearby. Its been a while but I think Bella shot this bear with aRead more , Indeed a Cooey 22 which is held by the Royal Alberta Museum, bedded in a piece of bike tire and attached to the stock with hockey tape, the museum has the hide of the bear as well, neither are on regular display. But it was not 12 feet, 6 inches tall nor did it weigh 1,600 lbs. From its relatively quiet approach, I assumed it was one of the black bears; every time it made a noise, the grizzly would look in that direction and become more and more agitated. I dont take my ink lightly. A short time before, hed shot a giant grizzly, and sent his bears skull measurements to The Boone and Crockett Club, to be scored against other North American big game. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. They do that before they kill you. She paid the insurance. Dont assume a large animal is dead. When we talk about shot placement we mean understanding anatomy as much as we mean marksmanship. The worker approached a bear in a black bear snare. The only gun they had was Bellas single-shot bolt-action .22 Rimfire rifle. At dawn, temperature had been 40 degrees F. On the morning of the 11th it would be 35 degrees F. The high for the 10th was 58 degrees. He described Bella as a tiny woman, and he was not a large man. We used to see only black bears, but in 2011, I had pictures of more than 15 different grizzlies on my trail cameras. Who could blame her?. That makes it unlikely the bear was standing on its hind legs when it was shot. The bear's size didn't surprise at least one hunting advocate, who said the high weight was the . The recently resurrected debate over Bella Twin, the woman who was reported to have taken down a grizzly with nothing but a .22 rifle. It's still a really interesting story. The world-record skull was found by a hiker in 1976, and is just 7/16ths of an inch larger. On the screen was a picture of the bear I had been dreaming about for the previous two years. For a while, I thought it might be a Tobin, but it clearly is not. Alexa analytics service - keep track on user informations. The grizzlies, however, were not so cooperative. After some pictures, we started skinning at 2:30 a.m. We finally got all of the meat and the hundred-pound hide loaded into my river boat at 7:30, with little room or energy to spare. Three hours later, the auto body man had taken down the grizzly that. had a single shot .22 and a box of shorts. A woman walking her two dogs in Colorado has been killed in a bear attack, park officials say. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. A High Velocity short fired the same bullet at 1125 feet per second. The bear was very close, only a few yards away. They were about seven miles South of Slave Lake. Sheet! These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. The Buffalo was gone next morning. A possible fatality supposedly occurred in 1907 when a man was attacked by a female grizzly bear after he prodded her cub with an umbrella. She walked up to the bear and fired another six or seven rounds of .22 long into its brain, in the same spot. Taking the new World Record brown bear with my bow was just a bonus. I live in Lesser Slave Lake and this is a story that can be confirmed by many townspeople that have lived here since before 1950. It always amazes me how an animal so big and powerful can appear and disappear like a ghost. Taking no chances, Bella went up close and fired all of the cartridges she had, seven or eight .22 Longs, into the bears head. Larry said, honestly if you saw the giant Grizzly like that, you would never go tracking it if you were any kind of a hunter because it would kill you. We could hear the grizzly breathing before we could see him, and by the time he walked into view, I felt like my heart was going to explode. It was him, the bear that had haunted my dreams, right there in front of me. While the grizzly was a world record the method of shooting Polar and Grizzly bears is not uncommon. the story went she calmly put a a 22 LR from a pistol while it was stuck in the window through its ear and it dropped. That poor bear. They moved to the side of the cutline and hid, hoping the bear would not discover them. His Dad killed a few big bears in the slave lake area and well may have had his eye on this bear for himself or one of his clients. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. He dindu nuffin and that crazy woman murdered him from ambush. The following spring, I shot a black bear that I could tell was big, but even when we squared the hide at 8-feet even, I didnt know what I had. Winds make a lot of noise in the woods, and they can blow your scent away from game. Some people mistakenly assume that hunting grizzlies over bait is easy, or even cheating. If she saw the bear on the cutline coming towards them, they wouldn't wait. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. 22s were and still are used to cleanly kill cattle for butchering. I have a friend that tells of dropping a bull moose with one shot from a .22 magnum from 100 yrds, right behind the front leg. You can see the exit hole on the right side. Debias' impressive grizzly has an initial P&Y score of 27 3/16", which is a full inch . Just $1 per month , The author takes one of the largest archery grizzly bears of all time with a recurve bow, By Dont mess with country girls. Such meetings sometimes result in a mauled man or shot bear, or both. In 1986, another record-class grizzly was killed by Alvars Barkis of Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, with a .300 Magnum; and a medium-size one, about 500 pounds, was killed by 12-year-old Gary H. Holmes of Kimberly, BC, with a .25/06. A current CCI Standard Velocity Long Rifle, at 1070 feet per second has 3 percent more energy than the 1953 High Velocity long. Looks just like my Pops old Springfield 15Y he got from Sears Roebuck for $2.98 before WWII and used on his trapline. Posted on 02/15/2012 8:43:55 AM PST by marktwain. COPYRIGHT 2021, THETRUTHABOUTGUNS.COM. It is worth noting that grizzly bear populations in Alberta are well on their way to being recovered and at some point in the future, if we can sort the facts from the politics and emotion, we may well have a chance to hunt bears as big as Bella Twins. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. As amazing as it may seem to kill a bear w/ .22, there is a story about an old indian gentleman that went on a buffalo hunt armed with a .22 rifle. The hunter climbed a nearby tree. Redirecting to /1803246/alaskan-bags-world-record-grizzly/ (308) Unfortunately, shooting a grizzly over bait was illegal there, so I had to watch in awe as he walked off with the swagger and cockiness that only the biggest bears display. The wife he left behind when he died is Constance Brissenden. Well, the gun is worth nothing, I said.

Treatment Of Suture Granuloma, Post University Disbursements, Virgo Man And Virgo Woman Sexually, Legacy High School Football, New Albany High School Basketball Coach, Articles W

world record grizzly bear killed with 22