the social dilemma transcript with timestamps

[Growth AI] Cross-referencing him against comparables in his geographic zone. [vlogger] Neither is true. Thats where the term machine learning comes from. Recently in India, Internet lynch mobs have killed a dozen people, including these five. Not even that cute girl from school. . Gen Z, the kids born after 1996 or so, those kids are the first generation in history that got on social media in middle school. They just have this giant computer that rakes in money, right? Thats the only thing there is for them to make money from. Whether youre an introvert or an extrovert, or what kind of neuroses you have, what your personality type is like. So they can keep the power, so they can control everything. Skip over A, The, etc. [Jon Tester] I I am 62 years old, getting older every minute, the more this conversation goes on. Pricing with TranscriptionWing. Thats just ridiculous. [AI] Perfect. I dont wanna do any harm to Google or Facebook. Dude, how I dont know how I didnt get carded. [Aza Raskin] You can imagine these things are sort of like they they tilt the floor of of human behavior. [Tristan] We were all looking for the moment when technology would overwhelm human strengths and intelligence. Exactly what image you stop and look at, for how long you look at it. Mays. Theres lies here, and theres lies over there. Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.4. [interviewer] Think were gonna get there? P.O Box 30080-00100,Nairobi, Kenya. And, you know, we talked about having Mark have those dials. Because then it forces you into this vicious cycle where youre like, Whats the next thing I need to do now? I think we were naive about the flip side of that coin. You know? And theres fake news. [Joe] I left Google in June 2017, uh, due to ethical concerns. [chuckles], [crowd chanting] Open up your eyes, dont believe the lies! Thank you . I mean, this is just the latest new level that weve seen. WARNING: SPOILERS This is the premise of Netflix's original film The Social Dilemma. AIs not gonna solve these problems. In fact, theres really no need for people to interact. Because theyre controlling, you know, the information that we see, theyre controlling us more than were controlling them. I just want to reform them so they dont destroy the world. So, thats a little scary. How much time can we get you to spend? So, it really is this kind of prison experiment where were just, you know, roping people into the matrix, and were just harvesting all this money and and data from all their activity to profit from. lindbacken fastigheter . The Social Dilemma gives insights about the psychology of what's keeping the users glued to the screens of their . [Cathy ONeil, PhD] I like to say that algorithms are opinions embedded in code and that algorithms are not objective. We had such envy for that, and it seemed so elegant to us and so perfect. I wanna destabilize Cameroon. [Justin] By having these conversations and and voicing your opinion, in some cases through these very technologies, we can start to change the tide. [Tucker Carlson] is going on that gets no coverage at all. Whats frightening, and what hopefully is the last straw that will make us wake up as a civilization to how flawed this theory has been in the first place is to see that now were the tree, were the whale. Whats not okay is when theres no regulation, no rules, and no competition, and the companies are acting as sort of de facto governments. [interviewer] Uh, youre making me feel like a lab rat. And all those protections and all those regulations are gone. [Tim] Its easy today to lose sight of the fact that these tools actually have created some wonderful things in the world. [Tristan] Were pointing these engines of AI back at ourselves to reverse-engineer what elicits responses from us. [Alex] My kids dont use social media at all. We should be live. When I went to work the next day, most of the laptops had the presentation open. When they take over mental health of kids or Saturday morning, theyre responsible for protecting Saturday morning. [Shoshana] This is a new kind of marketplace now. Youre not gonna get paid. the social dilemma transcript with timestamps. [Justin Rosenstein] Even talking about an AI is just a metaphor. [Justin] Im very concerned. Its The bigger it gets, the harder it is for anyone to change. A reclusive, morbidly obese English teacher attempts to reconnect with his estranged teenage daughter. Its just not that big a deal. The Digital Workspace Works Podcast Episode 27 Season 1 The Social Dilemma (2020) 00:00 27:07 Oh, thats from a talk show, but thats pretty good. [Jaron] Thats a little too simplistic. Its slight. Jaron Lainer, a computer scientist and virtual reality pioneer, responded with a slight disagreement: "It's the gradual, slight, imperceptible change in your own behavior and perception that is the product.". [officer 2] Hey! Its as though we have less and less control over who we are and what we believe. [Tristan] Its a disinformation-for-profit business model. Nice, simple business. Telephone number: 0203222111, 0719012111 You can make some tweaks, but at the end of the day, youve gotta grow revenue and usage, quarter over quarter. And that once youre in that state, it turns out youre easily manipulated, the same way you would be manipulated by a magician. CG Publishing/Apogee Books, 2020, $26.95. So, you know, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, companies like this, their business model is to keep people engaged on the screen. [Rene] This is an example of a conspiracy theory that was propagated across all social networks. We did that brilliantly at Facebook. [Renee] Before you share, fact-check, consider the source, do that extra Google. When I was at the Stanford Persuasive Technology Lab, this is what we learned. They come home from school, and theyre on their devices. [presenter] Tristan Harris is a former design ethicist for Google and has been called the closest thing Silicon Valley has to a conscience. Come here! Were seeing corporations using powerful artificial intelligence to outsmart us and figure out how to pull our attention toward the things they want us to look at, rather than the things that are most consistent with our goals and our values and our lives. Its easy to think that its just a few stupid people who get convinced, but the algorithm is getting smarter and smarter every day. Now, imagine what that means in the hands of a dictator or an authoritarian. Uh-oh. Why do advertisers pay those companies? [Alex] Yeah, these things, you release them, and they take on a life of their own. Keep it out until high school. Let us know what we can do by calling us at +1-203-413-2414 or by leaving us an email at transcripts@civi.com. Thats a design technique. Wikipedia would calculate, Whats the thing I can do to get this person to change a little bit on behalf of some commercial interest? Right? Were all lab rats. Me too! [Shoshana Zuboff, PhD] This is what every business has always dreamt of: to have a guarantee that if it places an ad, it will be successful. I feel like were on the fast track to dystopia, and its gonna take a miracle to get us out of it. And that miracle is, of course, collective will. [Justin] Ive uninstalled a ton of apps from my phone that I felt were just wasting my time. For example, although we know that Mark is sued, we . The main argument made is that Social Media is Bad. And over time, by running these constant experiments, you you develop the most optimal way to get users to do what you want them to do. We had 468 interested bidders. I mean, I I feel it. Even the wonderfully talented Skyler Gisondo cannot make a sequence work where he plays a teenager seduced by extremist disinformation, and the scenes with Vincent Kartheiser embodying the formulas that fight our efforts to pay . Get down on your knees. Theres the engagement goal: to drive up your usage, to keep you scrolling. Social media is a drug. [Chamath Palihapitiya] After all the testing, all the iterating, all of this stuff, you know the single biggest thing we realized? Interviewees state that social media platforms and big tech companies have been instrumental in providing positive change for society; they also note that such platforms have also caused problematic social, political, and cultural consequences. [Tristan] Imagine a world where no one believes anything true. They make some behavior harder and some easier. [Mary] Moment of truth. [Tristan] I wish more people could understand how this works because it shouldnt be something that only the tech industry knows. [Tristan] The fabric of a healthy society depends on us getting off this corrosive business model. Oh, Angola? You can ALSO get everything you need from the library catalog. GPS coordinates indicate that theyre in close proximity. They can get you to invite more people. [man] SARS, coronavirus. Armed with all the knowledge that I have and all of the experience, I am fighting my kids about the time that they spend on phones and on the computer. Some of the best quotes from The Social Dilemma are mentioned above. EVERY citation should end with a period. And look at when it was made. After just a couple of days, it's recorded over . So are they. -[cell phone vibrates] [crew member] Take one, marker. [Justin Rosenstein] I was the coinventor of Google Drive, Gmail Chat, Facebook Pages, and the Facebook like button. We want them to take this action. Its not like theyre trying to benefit us. [Tristan] You see drones, and you think, like, Oh, were gonna kill people with AI. And what people miss is that AI already runs todays world right now. Its up 189 percent for the preteen girls. [reporter 2] Its exacerbated by the fact that you can literally isolate yourself now in a bubble, thanks to our technology. I dont hate them. [Tristan] We can do genetic engineering and develop new kinds of human beings, but realistically speaking, youre living inside of hardware, a brain, that was, like, millions of years old, and then theres this screen, and then on the opposite side of the screen, theres these thousands of engineers and supercomputers that have goals that are different than your goals, and so, whos gonna win in that game? [Bailey] I think one of the big failures in technology today is a real failure of leadership, of, like, people coming out and having these open conversations about things that not just what went well, but what isnt perfect so that someone can come in and build something new. I get what youre saying. I was, um, thinking we could use all five senses to enjoy our dinner tonight. Thats amazing. What was I supposed to do? Can you get the coronavirus by eating Chinese food? And if you talk with them and say, Well, how many hours a day do you wanna spend on your device? On the ground. Tattooed ballroom dancer and writer keeping it real about dance, mindset, Life, and the occasional film. And they discovered that they were able to do that. That was it. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. How do I get an entire transcript. Required fields are marked *. All right. [Tristan] Theres an entire discipline and field called growth hacking. Teams of engineers whose job is to hack peoples psychology so they can get more growth. [Jeff Seibert] While at Twitter, I spent a number of years running their developer platform, and then I became head of consumer product. [Sandy] The phone company has tons of sensitive data about you, and we have a lot of laws that make sure they dont do the wrong things. This freaks me out. The entire tech industry is under a new level of scrutiny. [interviewer] Youre recommending something to undo what you made. The film's biggest mistake is a poorly-conceived dramatic re-enactment of some of the perils of social media. There are 13,694 people behaving just like him in his region. Its not in Facebooks business interest to give up the data. "The Social Dilemma" is an incredibly eye-opening watch. I can predict what kinds of emotions tend to trigger you. A whole generation is more anxious, more fragile, more depressed. As digital platforms increasingly become a lifeline to stay connected, Silicon Valley insiders reveal how social media is reprogramming civilization by exposing what's hiding on the other side of your screen. [reporter 4] Theres a question about whether social media is making your child depressed. [Sandy] There are many prominent Silicon Valley figures who went through that class key growth figures at Facebook and Uber and and other companies and learned how to make technology more persuasive, Tristan being one. There are lots of springboards for discussion here. How are they not seeing that same information? And the answer is, Theyre not seeing that same information.. If it seems like its something designed to really push your emotional buttons, like, it probably is. [Justin] Algorithms and manipulative politicians are becoming so expert at learning how to trigger us, getting so good at creating fake news that we absorb as if it were reality, and confusing us into believing those lies. White House officials say they have no reason to believe the Russian cyberattacks will stop. [Tristan] Even two friends who are so close to each other, who have almost the exact same set of friends, they think, you know, Im going to news feeds on Facebook. [Cass] Hey, Benji. This is a totally new species of power and influence. Thats what Im saying. Irina Raicu is the director of the Internet Ethics Program ( @IEthics) at the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, Santa Clara University. Like, Oh, my God, technologys just ruining the world and its ruining kids, and its like No. [chuckles] Its confusing because its simultaneous utopia and dystopia. -You good? Support at https://ko-fi.com . [Green AI] Did I overwhelm him with friends and family content? Later that day, there was, like, 400 simultaneous viewers, so it just kept growing and growing. This is changing the way our entire civilization gets its information and thinks about truth and fact.". If what you need is the official screenplay, probably its best to contact directly the producers/creators of the movie. [reporter 1] Its not just COVID-19 thats spreading fast. [Roger] So, imagine youre on Facebook and youre effectively playing against this artificial intelligence that knows everything about you, can anticipate your next move, and you know literally nothing about it, except that there are cat videos and birthdays on it. Taking a look at the overwhelming proliferation of social media, the documentary. And no one really understands what theyre doing in order to achieve that goal. [Tim] Well, I mean, its sort its interesting that knowing what was going on behind the curtain, I still wasnt able to control my usage. I mean, really. But what about User 01265923010? Some real big things. Its like asking, Whats wrong with propaganda?, [Anna] I Im worried about my kids. I care that you are being misled, and its not okay. Excellent! Im very concerned. [Bailey Richardson] Hello, world. That means we arent actually being objective, constructive individuals. Roughly, if you say from, like, the 1960s to today, processing power has gone up about a trillion times. The Social Dilemma is a well-constructed and articulately-argued threat. The point was, like, Youre the person whos gonna figure out how this thing monetizes. And there were a lot of people who did a lot of the work, but I was clearly one of the people who was pointing towards Well, we have to make money, A and I think this advertising model is probably the most elegant way. Thats the point. Companies like Google and Facebook would roll out lots of little, tiny experiments that they were constantly doing on users. They know when people are looking at photos of your ex-romantic partners. [Yellow AI] We need something actually good for a proper resurrection, given that the typical stuff isnt working. 2020-10-04 16:10:45. Its just that this is what the recommendation system is doing. We have almost no laws around digital privacy, for example. It is important to understand . [chuckles] Like, the entire thing. [Rebecca] Okay, well, Im gonna get a snack before practice if you wanna come. Our attention is the product being sold to advertisers. [Aza] People have the misconception its our data being sold. We now have markets that trade in human futures at scale, and those markets have produced the trillions of dollars that have made the Internet companies the richest companies in the history of humanity. The Social Network Script Takeaway #3 The Social Network deposition scenes . A social issue or problem is an issue that has been recognized by society as a problem that is preventing society from functioning at an optimal level. [reporter] These accounts were deliberately, specifically attempting to sow political discord in Hong Kong. His phone A.I. Standard Group Plc HQ Office, The Standard Group Center,Mombasa Road. [Tristan] Every time you see it there on the counter, and you just look at it, and you know if you reach over, it just might have something for you, so you play that slot machine to see what you got, right? Right? People cant tell whats true. Like, we never said any of that stuff about a bicycle. [Tristan] Its not about the technology being the existential threat. Ove is a curmudgeon-the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. It is unprecedented. And weve lost sight of it because it became the cool thing to do, as opposed to the right thing to do. These services are killing people and causing people to kill themselves. Open up, [Justin] And then you look over at the other side, and you start to think, How can those people be so stupid? [Tristan] Human beings, at a mind and body and sort of physical level, are not gonna fundamentally change. And what often happens is when people buy their cell phone, the cell phone shop owner will actually preload Facebook on there for them and open an account for them. [Tristan] Is this the last generation of people that are gonna know what it was like before this illusion took place? Citations are alphabetized by the first significant letter in the citation. Uh [laughs] I still am not 100 percent sure how this originally came about, but the idea that ordering a pizza meant ordering a trafficked person. At the time. You know, its the the reality is, well, there were so many different forces at play. It was experimental. [Tristan] The race to keep peoples attention isnt going away. The Social Dilemma by Jeff Orlowski explores the negative consequences of the social media phenomenon among teens and young adults. Like, wheres the existential threat? yo admin when u were in a call with someone it came up on the recording of the movie. [Tristan] A lot of what were saying sounds like its just this one-sided doom and gloom. [Growth AI] Yes, and connecting Ben with the entire world. Pull down and refresh again, its new. Video marketing. And a new study sheds light on the link between mental health and social media use. [reporter 1] Despite facing mounting criticism, the so-called Big Tech names are getting bigger. The other side of the screen, pointed at my brain, got me to watch one more video. When that happens at scale, youre no longer able to reckon with or even consume information that contradicts with that world view that youve created. [Guillaume] People think the algorithm is designed to give them what they really want, only its not. Views expressed are her own. Hi, as far as I know this is the full transcript as Im not aware of the existence of longer versions of the documentary. The underlying fundamental issues that need to be addressed to contain the spread of misinformation are: (1) the structure of the social networks and (2) the lack of checks and balances. [reporter 5] These cosmetic procedures are becoming so popular with teens, plastic surgeons have coined a new syndrome for it, Snapchat dysmorphia, with young patients wanting surgery so they can look more like they do in filtered selfies. There are times when the interests of people, of users, is actually more important than the profits of somebody whos already a billionaire? [Rene] What were seeing is a global assault on democracy. Your email address will not be published. While vacationing, a girl and her parents are taken hostage by armed strangers who demand that the family make a choice to avert the apocalypse. Especially social media starts to dig deeper and deeper down into the brain stem and take over kids sense of self-worth and identity. I didnt want to mislead people, a bunch of students in a classroom were interviewed saying, The round-Earthers got to him.. I mean, there were meaningful, systemic changes happening around the world because of these platforms that were positive! lsrstider lund polhem support@lawfirmrankers.com; berkna hllfasthet balkong Facebook fortnox ndra kundfaktura Linkedin. [Joe Toscano] You have this in Germany, Spain, France, Brazil, Australia. [Ben] Youre always talking about how messed up everything is. Readers follow protagonists Rachel and Andre as they discover that a command center in Russia is using a network of troll farms to spread false narratives about elections to American voters. Thats whats changed. And how theyre used is pretty different than how you expected. [vlogger] They can control our minds, so that they can keep their secrets. The Social Dilemma is a well-constructed and articulately-argued threat. And were not even aware that its happening. [vlogger] Do research. Thank you for providing this transcript so I can more easily record and share insights with my students. [Tristan] We evolved to care about whether other people in our tribe think well of us or not cause it matters. [Joe] We could tax data collection and processing the same way that you, for example, pay your water bill by monitoring the amount of water that you use. [Guillaume] Im not using Google anymore, Im using Qwant, which doesnt store your search history. [Bailey Richardson] The algorithm has a mind of its own, so even though a person writes it, its written in a way that you kind of build the machine, and then the machine changes itself. [automated voice] The government planned this event, created the virus, and had a simulation of how the countries would react. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic Arthur C. Clarke. [Tristan] When you think of AI, you know, an AIs gonna ruin the world, and you see, like, a Terminator, and you see Arnold Schwarzenegger. [Alex Roetter] You could shut down the service and destroy whatever it is $20 billion of shareholder value and get sued and But you cant, in practice, put the genie back in the bottle. [James] That I dont think thats No. [yellow AI] Hes primed for an ad. Its absolutely absurd. Uh Now, what are they being paid for? [jaron] Well, look, I know perfectly well that Im not gonna get everybody to delete their social media accounts, but I think I can get a few. It involves two prisoners that have the option of co-operating with each other by not being aware of the other prisoners' decision or defecting without talking to one another. All the social media apps, all the news apps, and Ive turned off notifications on anything that was vibrating my leg with information that wasnt timely and important to me right now. They hold optimism despite the fears of dystopia. Uh, we probably, um, dont survive. [Justin] I cant believe you keep saying that, because Im like, Really? [CNN] What does it look like to be a country thats entire diet is Facebook and social media? Addeddate. [reporter 3] This morning, panic and protest in Ukraine as. Right? Timestamping in transcription refers to inserting time codes in a transcript (in minutes and seconds) at specified intervals. Each person has their own reality, with their own facts. I shouldnt trust anyone. [Jonathan] How do they spend their time? [AI] Your friend Tyler just joined. Theres nothing else on the table that could possibly be called the product. What do they do with that data? But Im saying the idea that theres a new level and that new level has happened so many times before. [AI] His calendar says hes on a break right now. The Democrat Party is a crime syndicate, not a real political party. Shes worse than I am. Sit down and see if you can get comfy. Take three. Every developers should read this. Nearing the end of his average session length. And its not like were lab rats for developing a cure for cancer. 5. If you've seen The Social Dilemma on Netflix, you're probably having trouble using social media right now. Were the thing being sold. This is deep-seated, like, human personality that theyre tapping into. I might have to start blocking her e-mails. [Jeff Seibert] What I want people to know is that everything theyre doing online is being watched, is being tracked, is being measured. Well, you should be able to, cause thats exactly whats happening on Facebook. [Sandy Parakilas] I worked at Facebook in 2011 and 2012. I was so impressed with the documentary but there were SO many cogent ideas and points of view that Im super pleased to have found this transcript. Were Were crazy. I will say to my son, How many hours do you think youre spending on your phone? Hell be like, Its, like, half an hour. The Social Dilemmais a 2020 Americandocudramafilm directed byJeff Orlowskiand written by Orlowski, Davis Coombe, and Vickie Curtis. Now, down. Six months. It has its own goals, and it has its own means of pursuing them by using your psychology against you. It wants things from you. [vlogger] I share this stuff because I care. Or am I overreacting to a situation that I dont know enough about? [Tristan] Photoshop didnt have 1,000 engineers on the other side of the screen, using notifications, using your friends, using AI to predict whats gonna perfectly addict you, or hook you, or manipulate you, or allow advertisers to test 60,000 variations of text or colors to figure out whats the perfect manipulation of your mind. the social dilemma transcript with timestampsvsters friluftsomrde. Anything that sways from the Extreme Center. In Myanmar, when people think of the Internet, what they are thinking about is Facebook. [Bailey] I was one of the really early employees at Instagram. [vlogger] so they can pick sides. Netflix. So, I decided that were not gonna have any cell phones at the table tonight. It is stated that social media is a useful service that does lots of good with a parallel money machine. Explain. A remake of the original film adaptation of the novel A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (2015 Swedish film A Man Called Ove directed by Hannes Holm). [Tristan] Where youll go. Its not something you can just decide to ignore. Thats another way to fight. My last job there was the senior vice president of engineering. Theyre paid for by advertisers. We probably degrade the worlds democracies so that they fall into some sort of bizarre autocratic dysfunction. The Girl With The Tree Tattoo. Toward the end of Netflix's new documentary-drama The Social Dilemma, former Google employee Tristan Harris describes technology as "simultaneous utopia and dystopia.". Can you imagine that? Thats what makes the illusion work. Real Fake Transcript. Netflix just released a new documentary called The Social Dilemma. yonex tennisschlger ezone; the social dilemma transcript with timestamps The preteen girls who have very low rates to begin with, they are up 151%. Netflix's The Social Dilemma premiered only a few weeks ago and has already provoked a substantial response. [Steve Jobs] What a computer is to me, is its the most remarkable tool that weve ever come up with. [Tristan] If I want to manipulate an election, I can now go into a conspiracy theory group on Facebook, and I can find 100 people who believe that the Earth is completely flat and think its all this conspiracy theory that we landed on the moon, and I can tell Facebook, Give me 1,000 users who look like that. Facebook will happily send me thousands of users that look like them that I can now hit with more conspiracy theories. Theyve reunited lost family members. [Tristan] From that perspective, you can have a very different understanding of what technology is doing. [Mark Zuckerberg] So, uh, long-term, the solution here is to build more AI tools that find patterns of people using the services that no real person would do. In what way is social medias design meant to nurture an addiction? I mean, every other kid in her class had one. I mean, this one is less. Its exactly whats happening in your YouTube feed. [Roger] The law runs way behind on these things, but what I know is the current situation exists not for the protection of users, but for the protection of the rights and privileges of these gigantic, incredibly wealthy companies. [interviewer] Is there a problem, and what is the problem? So, it sounds crazy to say we need to change all that, but thats what we need to do. We can start to change the conversation. Like, they were the ones who first understood how peoples minds work. Students also viewed Happiness Essay - Grade: B English Essay on why dance is important Depression rough draft The technology that connects us also controls us. Secara garis besar bercerita tentang dampak negatif media sosial dan dunia maya. Its just a load of sh. And that pattern points to social media.

Kirkland Sirloin Steak Nutrition, Articles T

the social dilemma transcript with timestamps