summerland isle of man location

I was 13 when summerland went on fire i still remember that night clearly my mum and i had told my dad that we were going to summerland while he went to the villa marine to watch wrestling but just before the bus stopped we changed our mind and went to white city we had just got into white city when we were told summerland was on fire we had to walk all the way round onchan to get back to the prom its a scene you will never forget seeing people jumping into the sea to get away from the flames even when we came home on the boat your were reminded again as we had to wait until all the coffins were taken of first as a mark of respect. The BBC reserves the right to edit comments submitted. Property description & features. The Summerland leisure complex in the Isle of Man, a popular tourist destination for many years, closed its doors for the last time in 2018. 8. There were cafes and bars to relax in when you needed a drink. To experience Summerland at that time was special and afterall, what has the Government ever done since to improve our quality of life here in the IOM. We were there the night before the fire, we just thatought the "moving staircase" by the front door was the best thing ever. From pantomime to ballet and live music to musicals. The pool was salt water and it made my eyes sting. I finished work on the 1st of August after working in the bar because Ihad run out of money. Location:Isle of Man Posted February 17, 2006 Some photos of Summerland and the demolition (I'll post them in batches because uploading all at once seems to mess up the order) Quote Regulars 7.1k Gender:Male Location:Isle of Man Posted February 17, 2006 Damn flood control Quote The Old Git Regulars 7.1k Gender:Male Location:Isle of Man It is a British Crown dependency (and therefore not part of the United Kingdom itself); the UK is responsible for defence and foreign affairs. The Summerland disaster occurred when a fire spread through the Summerland leisure centre in Douglas on the Isle of Man on the night of 2 August 1973. Everywhere we went afterwards there was requests for blood donors it was so sad, and I think we were all glad to get home. When we noticed the black smoke to one end of the building - and the crowds looking in that direction - we started to move towards the exit. I made lots of friends both from the island and liverpool. The first responding fire crews realised additional resources would be required and almost every resource available to the Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service was mobilised to the incident (93 of its 106 firefighters and all 16 of its engines). We came back to the island the year after the fire and we stayed in Oncan. The panic started and we all headed for the fire exit down the steps, only to find the doors were locked. It does not take away from the fact that it was for a few years, a great place to be. Figure 2 shows where the fire initially started, and it spread quickly over the building faade. Fifty people were killed and 80 seriously injured. We never knew if she saved our lives. [15] Changes to building regulations to improve fire safety were introduced. I remember the main floor in front of the stage with all the deck chairs & the straw umbrellas, the music, the talent shows. Summerland. "Services weren't equipped for Summerland disaster", "Article about the disaster based on the report by Dr Ian Philips", "Remembering the Summerland fire disaster, 40 years on", "Isle of Man 'shame' over Summerland fire disaster", "Remembering The Summerland Disaster 40 Years On", "Asbestos information centretrade names", "Summerland fire survivor: 'I don't blame dad for saving my sister and leaving me in blaze but I never got to tell him', "Summerland fire: Fifty victims remembered on anniversary", "Summerland disaster survivor: 'I still dream of people in flames', "THE SUMMERLAND SITE IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY", "Summerland fire memorial built to mark 40th anniversary", "Summerland fire victims remembered on 40th anniversary", 1972 amateur film of pre-disaster Summerland, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Summerland_disaster&oldid=1142829611, Fire disasters involving barricaded escape routes, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 4 March 2023, at 16:12. The scale of the fire has been compared to those seen during the Blitz. 420,000 Property details; [18], Forty years after the tragedy, a permanent memorial in the form of three granite columns was unveiled at Kaye Memorial Gardens, at the bottom of Summer Hill. A period semi-detached double fronted town house built circa 1864, set along a quiet cul-de-sac, yet within easy walking distance of the shops and cafes of Parliament Street. This part of the building was clad in a material called Galbestos: profiled steel sheeting with asbestos felt on both sides coated with bitumen,[5][8] with no fire-resistant qualities. Phase I was the Denis Cowley QC acted for the Douglas Corporation. over 1.7 million (government grant of 600,000). The Summerland disaster is the worst day in Manx history and remains the third worst loss of life from fire on land in the British Isles since World War Two. I was so sad when the tragedy happened and still feel sad when I drive past the now empty site. My dad raised the alarm after I smelt smoke coming from a slot machine. Most of week had been spent at the evening disco and I still have photos and the weekly ticket from our good times there. Bit by bit over the years things would start to disappear, until by the end there was only "Manxland" left, my son really enjoyed palying there with all his cousins & it was a great place for Mums to meet on a Saturday & have a coffee while the kids played, we did that for a lot of years. 5. Those were the days. CLOSED COMPLETELY! It was a tragedy but the happy memories as a child are still vivid even in my late 40's.My thoughts are with those who lost someone dear xx. The Summerland disaster occurred when a fire spread through the Summerland leisure centre in Douglas on the Isle of Man on the night of 2 August 1973. There were 7 floors in total and the building had a capacity for 5 thousand people. It was all shining, it even smelt new. Jade Harbour Restaurant. Julie was 14, and identified by her jewellery. It was all shining, it even smelt new. 14a Majestic Apartments King Edward Road Onchan IM3 2BD. The indoor Summerland leisure complex in Douglas was the first of its kind in the world and its facilities put the Isle of Man on the map as one of the most important tourist destinations in. (Good move as it happens - I understood later that about 12 people were found dead at the bottom of that staircase, which I seem to recall did not have proper handrails round it, being largely decorative.) I loved it so much and will always remember it . I decided to throw a wobbly and asked for a toy as I didn't want to go to the show - overtired! I still remember those who died and those who lost loved ones. of 1971. I hope you'll find it a useful means of info as to the current status of the site; my hopes for the Isle of Man Government to develop a memorial space there dedicated to the 50 killed in the fire of 2nd August 1973; the one minute's silence I organise on the anniversary of the fire; the Summerland Memorial Concert held each year; together with links and blogs. Summerland for me, like many others who grew up on the Island was one of the main places that you could find entertainment of all forms from Rollerskating through to catching a afternoon film in the cinema. I've got used to passing the site & it not being there but from the boat, going in either direction it's still not the same. We hadn't had decent swimming baths for a long time in Douglas and for that reason alone I couldn't wait to get in and have a look. I was 7 and on holiday with family,that inluded aunts,uncles and cousins.A lot of us had been holdaying in Douglas that week and we spent a lot of time in Summerland.It was a great place to spend the day.It had all the ammenities ,everything you wanted was there,a funfare ,indoor heated swimming pool,indoor amusement arcade.It had bars,a disco's everything.On the night of the fire, we just finished our evening meal in our hotel and we began walking up Douglas promenade ,going towards Summerland,when we noticed smoke billowing up from behind the building,the next instant the entire building was engulfed in flames.I remember seeing people pouring out of the building,some were on fire,it was horrific.We were standing some distance away and I could not take my eyes off it.The explosions from the burning building boomed across Douglas bay.I had never seen so many injured people before and it is something that I wll never forget.The following morning we all cut our holiday short and returned home,as the ferry was leaving Douglas we all stood on the boat deck ,staring at the burnt out shell of Summerland.Have never been back to IOM since that terrible fire. I remember seeing below us musicians from the group who had been on stage swimming across the learner pool, one of them with his guitar. Bit by bit over the years things would start to disappear, until by the end there was only "Manxland" left, my son really enjoyed palying there with all his cousins & it was a great place for Mums to meet on a Saturday & have a coffee while the kids played, we did that for a lot of years. The latter idea was eventually scrapped when it was discovered some of the birds were poisoning themselves by eating the plastic foliage. It was indeed quite glamorous and I know for a fact my mum and dad spent more than a few romantic evenings there, (We kids got packed off to our grandparents house!) There were two phases in the building We crossed onto the promenade via a walkway which crossed the road, I think. A Cafe. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Isle of Man: Summerland Entertainment Center - Vintage Photograph 1399644 at the best online prices at eBay! I survived that terrible disaster. The venue was designed to hold 10,000 people in five floors and included swimming. Continue along King Edward Road beyond the new offices of Royal Skandia. Her Name was Julie Panter, and her friend Dawn Ellingham wrote to me to tell me this. The fire exits - clear glass ones, all in a row - were locked which I guessed afterwards was to prevent people paying for access to one area and then going to the other as well. With the help of the government and Trust House Forte Leisure Ltd the A period semi-detached double fronted town house built circa 1864, set along a quiet cul-de-sac, yet within easy walking distance of the shops and cafes of Parliament Street. The transparent roof was composed of 6 ft acrylic bronze-tinted sheets so that the natural light filtering through would appear like golden rays. . panels dropping in flames onto the ground and I guess, people below. Following many goes on the slide (the attendant was very friendly and let me have many free rides!) David ButteryI was 16 at the time of the fire, like many teeagers in Douglas we spent most of our evenings and many a wet day at Summerland.We could occasionally get served in the bars and if not we roller skated on the big rink downstairs.The night of the fire we had left Summerland to go to the stock cars at Onchan stadium, we got as far as the Catholic church in Oncan park when we saw a thin column of black smoke and people began to gather at the cliff top overlooking the site.We ran across the golf course watching the smoke grow, by the time we reached the cliff, half of the seaward wall of Summerland was blazing with a thick sheet of jet black smoke rising hundreds of feet.From our viewpoint we watched the fire spread over the huge oroglas canopy and saw thousands of people pouring out of the doors.When the events of 9/11 were shown on tv it reminded me of Douglas prom that night, teeming with shocked people and emergency vehicles flying up and down.We ended up in the Granada hotel trying to phone our parents to tell them we were ok but the phones were busy.The next morning the whole town stank of burnt plastic and vans instead of ambulannces ferried the dead to a makeshift mortuary.I didn't loose anyone and I dont have nightmares, but it was a dark part of my childhood and a memory that is still often in my thoughts. A recent trip to Isle of Man brought back many happy memories but I was sad to see that not only had Summerlands closed but the building was completly gone.Some people said I was daft as there was no pool on the prominade but my memories of that place will never disappear. 30 Mar 2023 - 05 Apr 2023 +. Douglas (Man When we finally reached the bottom the firemen were there to guide us out and just as we got outside, the whole place was engulfed by fire. The first drawings materialised in 1965 but hundreds were drafted out before building work actually started. 1. My legs went like jelly and the next thing I knew, flames shot up the sides of the windows. Marketed by Chrystals, Isle of Man If you like to see Seven Sisters - view in Seaford, United Kingdom or any other wonderful filming locations from Summerland, start scrolling. Location: Doolish; Share; Posted July 3, 2008. . Property reference . My Uncle and several other "big chaps" hurled themselves against the fire doors to break them down. Original 1970s flyer in colour. The Summerland building in Douglas was the first of its kind in the world. [11], One survivor wrote about her experiences from the fire in a book entitled Made in Summerland, which was published in July 2018.[12]. When we finally reached the bottom the firemen were there to guide us out and just as we got outside, the whole place was engulfed by fire. "A good batter, a tasty sauce, and the excellent fried rice with chives.". Now it's completely gone & it is a shame but they will hopefully put something back there for the manx & visitors to enjoy & make their amemories last a lifetime too. The worst thing was I could hear screams even from that distance, this has haunted me to this day. Custom Mountain home in Tehachapi CA.-2 hrs from LA or 2 hrs from Central Coast. Ramsey is one of the sunniest parts of the Isle of Man, offering walks, fishing, golf, cycling and swimming. Noel Skillicorn, LiverpoolSummerland for me, like many others who grew up on the Island was one of the main places that you could find entertainment of all forms from Rollerskating through to catching a afternoon film in the cinema. Experts into wreckage of building 4. The Summerland Tragedy, Isle of Man.The Summerland Tragedy, Isle of Man. STORY. 7. vox pop older man re. We saw the fire take hold and like many others my parents were shocked and crying at the horror of the tragic loss of life. The centre reopened in June 1978. Location. It was my last night on the IOM with my BB Company from N Ireland. It wasn't until we were on the promenade at a safe distance that I looked back to see the building completely engulfed in flames. 5. vs burned out building. Lomas wanted to create the illusion of being outside and to this end he planned to cover exposed cliff faces with tropical plants while allowing wild birds to live and fly throughout the building.

Knights Baronets Of Nova Scotia Knights Templar, Wasserstein Private Equity, Mongols Texas Shooting, Lost Ark Treasure Map Locations, Anthony Mathis Parents, Articles S

summerland isle of man location