sherry thomas lane casting director

Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, The 2020 Emmys are closer than you think. But in a series that tonally feels more like an independent feature, not just any teenagers would do. Thank God. You guys cast this while everything was locked down. And thats part of our job is to continue education. She gets it. Thats why you guys are so successful and all the shows you do, which are fantastic. Hes not afraid to try things. We had read her for The Handmaids Tale one season, and we had read her for an independent movie that was a really deep and layered character. Now in the shows second season, casting directors Sherry Thomas and Russell Scott were tasked with the challenge of expanding on that world and filling out an ensemble that were able to keep up with Applegate and Cardellini. Id read about her ability, Ulrich says of the Oscar winner, a prolific singer-songwriter. Good lighting is typical, and shooting from the right angle, and just be yourself in the slate. sherrythomaslane Follow 284 posts 5,086 followers 587 following Sherry Thomas Lane Casting Director / Owner @ Bialy Thomas & Associates Blue collar Northampton, MA native who is Livin' the dream. When you guys watch a self-tape, how long do you spend on it until you move on. What kind of challenges are there for a show like that where you are three seasons in already? Its just a wonderful place to be to be able to cast these amazing actresses from Frances Conroy to Katey Sagal to Valerie Mahaffey. But what they dont realize is that not only are they watching closely, they might actually be looking straight into the actors souls. And I write on something next to me, I had Michael Imperioli in my head. Although the self Read More, Your email address will not be published. Weve always requested self-tapes and explored actors from all over the world. Its definitely a world that were extremely interested in.. Im always thrilled when stunt casting works, because people immediately feel a sense of connection by knowing somebody from the past, he says. There would be years where people would be like, Where did you get all these drug addicts? . In a COVID and post-COVID world do you think youre job will permanently change? But going into the second season, the world knows the show, and we dont have to explain what it is. We had to make sure all of the players were lined up, and from there, it was a lot of immediate yess. I appreciate that insight into collaborating with such a talented multi-hyphenate. With Tyler as Diamond, when you see him experience that, you dont question whether or not thats his truth., We all loved [Harriett] from the beginning. Im not just saying that because hes my boss Im saying that because Ive had the privilege of watching the dailies [raw, unedited footage shot during a filming day] for Barry and have gotten to see his work from all angles. Quickly send your headshot and resume to hundreds of casting directors, agents, and managers. I think within that the process will change a bit. Weve read her over the years and have been a fan of hers, says Daniel of the role Moorjani eventually landed, as the cousin who initially inspires envy in Devi. Wiley plays the rebellious Moira on Handmaids and has one Emmy win in three nominations for the role. And now jumping to present day, congrats are in order regarding the recent Emmy nomination you received with Sharon Bialy for your teams work casting Barry. And tonally, youd had to have both here. They have to be funny and in the moment with so few lines, and that is such a hard thing to do. We always want to be readily available to talk as they prepare their tapes so that there is that sense that weve been in the room with them. As for the ladies favorite guest stars over the years, they bring special attention to Charles Baker (Skinny Pete), Matt Jones (Badger) and Daniel and Luis Moncada (the Cousins), but they admit that Emmy nominee Mark Margolis may be their favorite casting scoop for the show. We had lots of auditions. Daisy Jones & the Six becomes the first fictional band to hit No. It was the soul of the actor and what [showrunner Bruce Miller] was looking for.. We will never, ever be an office that is strictly self-taped. I love her performances and everything she does, and Luca felt the same way., Jack has a lot of experience in movies and TV, so he had a flexibility as far as craft goes, Cuba says. Defying past portrayals of female friendship on television, Dead To Me enamoredaudiences with its unexpected casting choices of Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini. So he was intrigued. Goes Out newsletter, with the week's best events, to help you explore and experience our city. John Ennis is a character actor weve known for a long time and he was amazing as the exterminator. You can see a number of actors for an audition before that one person comes in, and everything just clicks. Alice Lee was just a discovery. So weve always cast in a broad, worldly way. To see somebody with natural comedic timing who really got the nuances of the scenes and really got the multidimensional character she wasnt just reading lines. She was channeling her own mother, is what she told us. Its OK because now youll get great volume when you blow dry it. Get to Know the Casting Director: Sherry Thomas, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Hes a very soulful actor and person, and his craft is unbelievable. Subscribe for full access to The Hollywood Reporter. A lot of casting people their choices have shifted to self-tapes and some of them only self-tapes, but for us our choice will always to be in the room with actors. Exclusive: AMCs Emmy episode submissions for Breaking Bad & Mad Men, Even though Breaking Bad is over, Bialy and Thomas are still involved in that universe thanks to their casting of the spin-off series Better Call Saul. However, Bialy warns us, I cant tell you anything about Better Call Saul. Were sworn to secrecy! Theyre also keeping busy casting Halt and Catch Fire, which just ended its first season on AMC, Foxs upcoming comic-book series Gotham and TVs biggest ratings hit The Walking Dead., Hey, whats with all the dark shows on their resumes? Slowly they realized that Maitreyi and Jaren have this really great chemistry, so it naturally evolved into this love triangle, which was really fun to see., Finding stars for a show that centers entirely on musical numbers is not the daunting task one imagines especially if you were the casting director of Glee and have an enormous roster of singing actors at your disposal. This weekend, we'll hear from three more guilds: the ACE (Eddie Awards), the ASC, and the WGA. Oscars 2023 Voting Begins Dear Oscar, Hear My Plea, Why Steven Spielberg Deserves to Win His Third Best Directing Oscar. I recently got a perm, Sherry, and its been a real challenge. And he even said, coming in, I dont really know why Im here. But if it is a more substantial role with several scenes, two is fine to send to us. But oddly enough, on this show, because on others, we have done producer callbacks over Zoom, we didnt do any. We are very passionate about not pigeonholing actors. So, I got that part covered. We can be a force of nature in our career and still want to spend more than an hour and a half with our newborn baby. Personnel: Sharon Bialy, Casting Director. New to Casting Networks? And people. , Keller says, They said they wanted boring. Like if you were to go to a town meeting to talk about zoning.. That openheartedness that Gidget needed to have, Skyler innately has., J. So find somebody who really is going to, give you a little bit of something to play off of, but not try to sort of make it about them, because thats not what theyre there for. I mean, that had to have been completely It was all brand new. We talk about what hes looking for, and I like to ask if he has any prototypes dead or alive for the characters. It is one of our most rewarding jobs., [John McEnroe] was in the original script, and I remember nobody was dealing with it. I was doing a virtual Pilates class when I got a text from Christina that said, Congrats lady! Everybody knows he is a wonderful actor. Its been a long time coming and were very proud of it., 9 Emmy nominees you didnt know were already on Netflix: Breaking Bad, Scandal, , If they do win the Emmy, they arent worried about getting kicked off the stage if their acceptance speech lasts too long. Gohar Gazazyan, Casting Director. Thats why the character [club owner Uncle Clifford] is so exciting and real because Nicco is willing to take those risks., Shannon [as dancer Keyshawn] is shockingly gorgeous. And then we pulled from that to go and seek out the right people for the roles. Learn more about how we use cookies. Mercedes is the one who draws all the crowds into The Pynk, so you have to have someone that has this magnetism about them., Oh, what can you say? Shes the real deal.. Even Nate said, I cant believe Im in this part. He tapped into the soul of [kidnapped sons father] Matthew Dodson., He was in that initial conversation with Tim it was just determining which role, says Thomas of Patrick. [Laughs] I love them, as well as my husband, and we all have fun together. So, we really didnt do any producer sessions over Zoom. ST: We hadnt discussed the idea in general, probably because of the previous relationship with Christina, and we didnt want to pull anybody out of it. How did you end up finding her for the role? He is fantastic. And then, Sherry, you redirected me to do something. Sherry Thomas is represented by the brilliant Kristin Nelson of . But even with such a rsum, the highly sought-after casting director came across as nothing short of a grounded, down-to-earth individual when she sat down with Casting Networks via Zoom. Sharon Bialy: Sometimes well know somebody really well and have them read and literally in two lines, Im like, thats it, shes the one. AD: As our readers can imagine, casting can be a very hands-on role where you are meeting dozens of new people every day. He once told me, Youre weird too. . But if you feel like you want to give it a shot. [Showrunner Damon Lindelof] is pretty specific about what he wants, but if he cant really explain it, hell know it when he sees it. While leaving no stone unturned in his search for the perfect San Francisco enclave, Ulrich ended up with more than a few recognizable names of both stage and screen in key roles. Listen, come to my office and Ill do your hair youll be fine. The second it became Alex, I ran with it, pushed it, said its a way to really enlighten the world. Im in LA. Our job is to hopefully bring her people that she doesnt know yet. I dont see it. DEAD TO ME - Sherry Thomas, Russell Scott, Sharon Bialy, Alyssa Morris (Associate) Women of that level and age arent coming in to read at that point in their careers, so we kept combing through this huge list. I feel like this is not in my wheelhouse, or Im not right for this at all, but wanted to come and meet you guys.. Elaine Doremus. AD: Except for Emmy voters for whatever frustrating reason. This website uses cookies. By Vinnie Mancuso 12/30/15 10:00am. She needed the right role to be able to show that shes not just someone whos gorgeous, and Mississippi allows her to do that., Elarica [as dancer Autumn Night] has a very openhearted vulnerability that comes forward when you just look in her eyes, says Ingram. We wanted to see her because we were such huge fans from all the things that shes done, especially The Night Of. Photo Credit: Deanna Baldwin Boyd, courtesy of Sherry Thomas. He felt just perfect for Bruce. Thats me, Thomas says. So youll see Breaking Bad is peppered with stand-up guys doing their first drama., Join the fiery discussion of Breaking Bad in our forums, Thomas added, But really what we just love to do is great material and hire really interesting actors. It felt like he was going to be her enemy the whole time, Greenstein says of Lewisons character, Ben Gross. Despite the mega success of "Breaking Bad" at the Emmys -- including three acting wins for Bryan Cranston, a pair for Aaron Paul and one for Anna Gunn -- casting directors Sharon Bialy and Sherry . Matthew Dodsons father is not a role he typically plays. Toothpicks and blue jeans. And I think you can do that because you have more time, youre at home. We needed him to feel younger than the other boys, other than Jack. Fuck yeah!. I love it you all sound like youre very close casting partners! I mean, its just, its incredible. We would give a little context of the tone. WEBN Reporter Ali Inglese sat down with "Breaking Bad" Casting Directors Sharon Bialy and Sherry Thomas. Sherry Thomas: Good reader whos not too close to the camera and not trying to audition for themselves. Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day. I would own my own version of a Drybar. Sharon Bialy: I think theres going to be a hybrid. The bar has been set and we set it for ourselves as creative people with high standards. But this is definitely a collaboration between Jack and Luca, and who teenagers are today, in this moment., [The character of Sam Pratchett] was really about mixing and matching with whoever [would be playing his girlfriend] Caitlin. Im getting goosebumps right now just thinking about it. We ultimately will probably only send one take, unless were really questioning We dont edit it ourselves too much sometimes because the producers could come back and say, You know, theyre missing a moment, and thats exactly what was in the other take. At some point Sherry suggested Katey Sagal. And one of the first things that we did together as Bialy/Thomas was The Unit with Shawn Ryan and David Mamet and Eric Haney. We are very, very excited for season three. He goes right to the edge, and it works. There were large party scenes, and large office scenes, and so you had to be very, very careful. RS: With Katey, we wanted someone who is very special because there is a lot to unpack there with Lindas mother being in prison. So theres some benefits to both. And at that time, there were not vaccination mandates in place. For Perry Mason (originally set to star Robert Downey Jr., who serves as executive producer with his wife, Susan), casting directors Sharon Bialy and Sherry Thomas discussed their suggestions for each role with director and executive producer Timothy Van Patten. That is such a skill, and one I wish I had. When we started out, I was her associate for about two years, and then we became partners. Kay says, I met with [showrunners Jemaine Clement and Paul Simms] in the beginning, and they were like, You know, just bring us good faces. In Season 1, says Keller, Harvey Guilln, who costars as Guillermo, familiar to one of the vampires, starts talking to this other familiar at a party, and it was a very nondescript part. Twitter Icon Sherry Thomas: Yeah. TV casting directors receiving multiple nominations include Alexa L. Fogel (The Politician, . Its about finding complex and compelling actors that can bring nuance even to comedy. We started back in February of 2020, right before everything shut down, so Covid added some new challenges and parameters that we had to work within. Thats what it is all about. You believed everything that was coming out of her mouth., We did an open call for Kamala and I feel like [Richa Moorjani] came in pretty early on. Sharon Bialy: I think actors often think, Oh, they only think of me for this. Seriously. But what the self-taping does is give so many more people opportunities because we can see 25 actors for a role. ST: Russell worked very, very hard on that. But who to play the enigmatic Dr. Manhattan? [Tatiana is] someone we really believed in and highly recommended to Tim and the producers., [Gayle was] the only one who read, Thomas says. Instead its all of the supporting players, the day players, because you have to have great actors, the majority of who are in scenes with Christina and Linda. Thomas called Sweeney wise and mature beyond her years. No. Speaking with Awards Daily, the 2020 Emmy nominees walked us through the challenges of the second season from chasing down Natalie Morales as the second seasons biggest addition to a number of high-profile cameos. My wife is my reader and shes terrible. I think a lot of people have made that shift in their mentality. One of the limited series biggest secrets spoiler alert: If you havent seen Watchmen, skip down several paragraphs was that perhaps the most iconic character from the comic would indeed appear in the show, set years after the source material. Casting Networks acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the land throughout Australia. Instagram Icon Sign Up. Its hard to pick just a handful of credits that cover the breadth and depth of Sherry Thomas casting rsum. Its a natural human thing to think of somebody in one way. So, I didnt necessarily find casting it found me. My partner Sherry Thomas, who casts the show with me, and I have a history of colorblind casting, so we're always looking for the best actor. [Tim] talks about the spirit and the soul of the actor marrying with the spirit and the soul of the character, says Thomas. There was something she found the strength in that character, the fearlessness in her eyes., We werent identifying what roles would be people of color, adds her colleague Sherry Thomas. In 1974, Sherry joined Talent Associates, as an executive in charge of development. If its a co-star role and its one scene, a few lines, two takes. But Luca is very connected to the human side of actors, so I think he connected with her., Chlo [as Frasers other mother] is someone I have loved from the beginning. I dont know if theres a generic answer that fits every person when it comes to managing work/life balance, though. AD: What character in the second season proved to be the most challenging? Despite the mega success of Breaking Bad at the Emmys including three acting wins for Bryan Cranston, a pair for Aaron Paul and one for Anna Gunn casting directors Sharon Bialy and Sherry Thomas have been mysteriously overlooked by the TV Academy year after year. It was fun to be able to draw on somebody that I had thought was so talented for so long.. We didnt want someone who would be instantly recognizable to the world. You do a dark show and they go, lets get the girls to do the dark show. While eager to gather a diverse troupe for Mindy Kaling and Lang Fishers series, casting directors Collin Daniel and Brett Greenstein quickly realized that until they had nailed down their series leads, there was no ensemble to assemble. Finding actors that can understand the unique tone of the show, one that balances gut-wrenching trauma with unexpected comedy, is an intricate task. Year Program Casting Network One thing I love about casting this show is that its not just a lot of offers. Among them, theyre responsible for five of the shows nominated for casting Emmys this year as well as a host of others that have received acting nominations in the past. When you read that someone is meant to be beautiful, what does Luca think beautiful is? says Cuba. It might help for other projects more so than this, just to get a sense of it when youre in the room with us. It was really sort of a meeting of the minds and people coming together on the choices. It has all come down to this, friends. In 1975 she joined MGM as an executive story editor. RS: We went through that entire process and read a lot of people. Thanks, and Ill add that working from home with your kids during the pandemic really shows you what youve been missing out on. Once I opened that door, though, there was no going back. I hope she never sees us. Sherry Thomas Lane is on Facebook. Wow. How did you guys bring her on? So, I get an idea for the cadence and tone of the role, which I add to what I already have about it on paper. After a 2007 surgery that required general anesthesia, Steenburgen, who plays Zoeys mother, Maggie, began hearing original music in her head. I forgot to mention Casey Wilson. The storylines and arcs are massive, and youre also in a period piece, so it was important to make sure that each actor [remained] defined within their own self, even if the character wasnt around all the time, says Thomas. Natalie [Morales] was someone [showrunner Liz Feldman] had in mind from the beginning, but she was working on a movie. Thats how we kept bringing up Natalie Morales. Part of our journey is the process of learning about the actor, says Bialy. Hes being very humble right now, but it took a lot of strategizing and basically producing. Samira Wiley plays Moira in The Handmaids Tale, a performance that has brought her a third supporting actress Emmy nomination. For Season 2 of Handmaids, we were surprised with Sydney Sweeney [as Eden]. Then he went to dinner with Regina and came back and said, Why didnt I just I feel so ashamed. Because here, on a plate, is this great actress. . He just had a great rawness and innocence., As Sams older brother Craig, Corey had not had any experience. You really want to buy into that environment. Thomas adds that they sometimes develop relationships with actors, calling them in time and again for reads. Oftentimes you have to stay on your leading guy because other actors cant hold [their own]., The challenge is getting that first person of well-known stature to say yes, then you build from there, says Thomas. He was a huge part of why we got her it was a lot of working out schedules; we dont just get to read in a room with actors all the time. Did Scott have to break some legs to get it done? So, to be able to support her in a role like this, where she really gets to show what she can do as an actress and the layers and the levels that she has and that she is nuanced, is its exciting. You are known for bringing in people who are looked at one way, and then you sort of have given this whole new sort of light, this new career almost to them. So, you give each actor more of an opportunity to really get the role in some ways. And especially for kids, dont try that hard in the slate to be liked and all of that, its just, Hey, Im Lance Carter, Im five foot 10. ST: Not for us particularly. Theres a lot of complexity to the role and we needed someone funny. But Id love to work with her, so let me just say shed be my choice. We can explain things like tone. Its an amazing collaboration, and the work is very gratifying and just so much fun. Better Call Saul, were not even allowed to give you anything. I get on the phone with agents, and the casting process goes on from there. But Thomas and Scott have been able to channel their passion into rounding out the ensemble of the second season with big name guest stars from Frances Conroy and Katey Sagal to utilizing some of the best character actors working today. AD: The second season also featured two major guest stars in Frances Conroy and Katey Sagal. And I think were all waiting for the moment in time where we can be together again, for sure. I knew that Mary could sing. She had to go to some places and the work was beautiful. Im just blown away with how Bill can be in a scene, fully connected to it as an actor, even when I know his eye as the director and ear as the writer are simultaneously at work. The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Barry and many, many more, they are one of the top casting offices out there. Its good to be (Regina) King: The Oscar winner might win her fourth Emmy for her portrayal of Angela Aybar/Sister Night in Watchmen., The Doctor is in: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II was a surprise choice to play Dr. Manhattan in HBOs Watchmen.. At the time [we started casting], she was working with one of my best friends on What/If, and I was hearing a lot about her and how she would sing karaoke. Look, I think Bill Hader is in a category all his own. This interview has been edited and condensed. Sherry Thomas: Well, its crazy. Were in a very different time and our priorities are a little different, but it doesnt take away from the pride of it and the love and passion we have for it. In 1975 she joined MGM as an executive story editor. Pros from five of the years newest dramas and comedies including 'Perry Mason' and 'We Are Who We Are' also reveal the surprising obstacles they hurdled before production began. Sherry Thomas. I personally just do my best to be as organized as possible and stay present in the moment, taking it one day at a time. Casting Networks uses cookies to analyze our traffic and to personalize content and ads. Actors often think casting directors hardly even pay attention during their auditions. Sherry Thomas: Fortunately, I feel like everybody did a little bit of research, which was interesting. Unless it is really not Theres a couple things going into play. Shes just someone Ive been watching. It's a game A Tale of Two Cities One City: The BAFTA voters chose to give just one award to Everything, Everywhere All 2023 Golden Reel Award Sound Editorial Winners Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing Feature Dialogue / ADR The Banshees of 2023 JNews - Premium WordPress news & magazine theme by Jegtheme. I really hope the industry is changing to be better in that area, especially for women who want to work and also be moms. This cast is definitely a combination of people who Luca knew hed have to shepherd along. Of Seamn, whose outwardly confident Caitlin struggles with gender identity, Cuba adds, But its funny, because we thought this going in, and then Jordan turned out to somehow be a savant and know how to do everything, even though shed had no experience., I have auditioned [Scott] over the years for various things. Its not recent, but it is really funny. And if an actor does the wrong choice and they come in the room, you can easily give them direction and play with it and get them more relaxed and support them. However, theres a great deal of team Read More, Two in five Australians between the ages of 16 and 85 experience a mental disorder at some time in Read More, From college basketball tournaments to St. Pattys Day, the new month is synonymous with more than a few events. Read More, I believe there is some anxiety in the air over the expectations for commercial self tapes. One day, Damon said, Hey, theres this guy, Yahya! I went, Yeah. And before we wrap, can you share your secret for managing work/life balance? Sharon Bialy: Also, because sometimes youre only getting a couple of pages, so you have to guess and when youre in the room, we can give you context. But filling the role of a Sherman Oaks-grown teenager of South Asian heritage proved harder than expected. ST: I dont think any character was as challenging as Natalies. RT: Can we just put Rhea Seehorn in here? And also sometimes not having all the producers in the room gives the actor, even on a zoom call back with us, we can play with them more and theyre not trying to please everybody, theyre just concentrating on the work. 2023 Oscar Predictions Who Are the Oscar Voters? And as a casting director, it feeds my soul to get to go through the whole collaborative process of finding that person who just pops in a role. Sharon and I have been business partners for 25 years, and were very inserted in each others lives at this point. And sometimes the sides are fake. Sharon Bialy: I think thats a really good note. And so I said, Oh my God, oh my God, Michael Rispoli is going to be in town from New York and we need to get him in. She then added, To be perfectly honest with you, I think that were all in the reality that there are several other huge nominees in there, and so were blessed and honored to be there. At the time, there wasnt really a choice you had to prove yourself at work by being at your desk. The testing was very rigorous and I think production did such an amazing job with what they had to accomplish in the way that they had to accomplish it. And he even was like, Im not right for this, but Im here. Sharon Bialy: What a nice way to start the day. It sounds like you didnt look back after the job found you. She has been nominated for eight Emmys (The Handmaid's Tale, Barry, Breaking Bad) and 19 CSA nominations. Natalies name came up at the very beginning, and she is someone who Liz liked but we were originally told she wasnt available. We were like, Wait, did we just see somebody who literally has zero acting experience and was that great? says Brett Greenstein. Im pretty sure Im the loudest, so I think whoevers the loudest wins, joked Thomas. For Perry Mason (originally set to star Robert Downey Jr., who serves as executive producer with his wife, Susan), casting directors Sharon Bialy and Sherry Thomas discussed their suggestions for . That was a very, very challenging role, Thomas says of the eager young econowife character who comes to learn just how divorced love and marriage are in the Gilead dystopia. Her emotional depth and ability, in the scene, to always find the deepest but most surprising way to play it, is amazing and then to be able to sing on top of it. Back in 2019, Jones played. And Sherry was like, Shes so smart. The Envelope spoke with some of TVs top casting directors about their part in helping stories get told and actors get Emmy nominated. We were trying to find the perfect person that would excite Liz to the point where she would want to continue writing for if the character came back. In the meantime, make your predictions for Best Drama Series below the interview using our easy drag-and-drop menu. Sherry Thomas retweeted. We rely so heavily on the loudness, and the shoutiness, and the calling out ideas and really kind of collaborating in that way. When people used to ask us, I used to say, Oh, our reward is working with Vince Gilligan every day, which we continue to do and thats still true, Bialy told Gold Derby during our recent webchat (watch below). All of a sudden were like, Guys, shouldnt we make sure he wants to do this? recalls Collin Daniel of the role that was part narrator, part Voice of God, and all affectionate snark.

Weston Willows Georgetown, De, Sfo Customs Wait Time Today, Grey's Anatomy Audience Demographics, Curtis Dustin Williams Autopsy, Articles S

sherry thomas lane casting director