citizenship in the community merit badge

. Scouts learn how to be active members of their local community while working on the Citizenship in the Community merit badge. But, sometimes these false beliefs cause harm to innocent people just because of their race, religion, or appearance. Common community-funded services include: Services that improve a community can also help to bring people together. important to your community. One does not build upon the other. 5. work, the scout should contact the organization to find out what After youve completed the required 8 hours (at minimum) of volunteer work, speak with your merit badge counselor. Just gently let the offender know that most people have a higher standard, and that those sorts of comments are beneath them. So please get permission from both before you watch the movie. Here are some which I recommend: So that should give you an idea of some movies for Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge. To make an ethical decision, you should put your own interests second to doing the right thing. You only realize you have an extra $100 in the parking lot. I'm constantly writing new content because I believe in Scouts like you! Blanks in this worksheets table appear when The right to a lawyer and a speedy trial. That last one The A-frame canvas tents have been used by generations of Scouts but are open to bugs and lots of other critters. For the previous requirements, Click here. There is a note - "All merit badge requirements must be met while a park, and in my particular case this Download Now, Citizenship in the Community MERIT BADGE PROGRAM, Citizenship in the Nation MERIT BADGE PROGRAM. To do that, we need to expand our understanding of the diverse people and cultures around us! Hopefully, you can think of a few experiences like this off the top of your head. 0000004412 00000 n ! However, you could also keep the people involved anonymous, and use the opportunity to explain to your teacher that much of the class is struggling with the current material. With your counselor's and a parent's approval, interview one Volunteering and contributing to others brings a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment. other work can be done. 0000029970 00000 n Someone whos handicapped and uses a wheelchair might need financial support to be able to cover medical bills. Being informed and socially active is an important part of belonging to a community. to accept it or not. They learn about local government and do service work in their region. But people can have very different identities. Collections Book 1. Attend a meeting of your city, town, or county council or school board; Or attend a municipal, county, or state court session. Im constantly writing new content for ScoutSmarts.com to help Scouts like you, andI would really appreciate it if you could share this website with your troop buddies. 0000023306 00000 n 0000019017 00000 n activities completed prior to any meeting with the unit leader or the It is a good story of one person overcoming personal battles and changing things for the better. 0000004061 00000 n Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge - Acceptable Movies All these movies are acceptable to me as merit badge counselor. Report what youve learned to your merit badge counselor. Prezi lets you create large maps within your presentation, which will work well in highlighting different aspects of your community. You can say something along these lines: Hi, my names Cole; Im a Scout from troop 100. Sometimes, its best to report situations to your teacher, parents, and other trustworthy adults. Citizenship in Society Merit Badge Counselor Guidelines. Requirements were Instead, work to be inclusive. 0000004216 00000 n of opinions was expressed, and explain to your counselor why you Pick ONE of the organizations you chose for requirement 7a. 0000006408 00000 n We should do our best to eliminate systemic disadvantages for all identities so that every person can reach their full potential (equity). Discuss the rights, duties, and obligations of citizenship, and explain how you can demonstrate good citizenship in your community, Scouting unit, place of worship, or school. He made the decision to continue writing and fighting for justice! Chart the organization of your local or state government. Sometimes when doing an initial interview with a Scout, they dont have any idea about movies for Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge. Then, try to live those values out by being an ethical leader in all you do. Now its time to begin earning your Citizenship in the Community merit badge. Its easy to imagine that leaders should do all the talking, but in reality, great leaders are the ones who listen well and encourage others to participate in the planning process. Find a number to call and speak with a member of the organization. 24 These pages should also note whether the officials holding these positions are elected or appointed. Although being a citizen in your community doesnt come with the same rights and responsibilities as being a citizen in your nation, there are still obligations that you should uphold. 35870 -Ford v. Ferrari (2019), PG-13 Event starts on Saturday, 4 March 2023 and happening at The New Weis Center for Education, Arts & Recreation, West Milford, NJ. I dont know if youre joking but you sound super racist/like a bully and no one likes that.. at least $100M at the box office, based on a true story, and not We are providing scouts the opportunity to further their journey towards Eagle Scout by giving them easier access to Scouting BSA . When the federal government came in to stop them and jailed them, the Mayor intervened and released the Ghostbusters in order to save the city. Learn how your comment data is processed. 0000005193 00000 n This is called troop retention (check out my full article for details)! First time earning a merit badge? They also research the history, culture, and demographics in their area. These meetings often revolve around important community issues that relate to the governments legislative branch. and concerned member of the community. Scoutbook ID#: After your What is their background? 0000025071 00000 n Their local community was negatively impacted by paranormal activity the public library, hotels, the streets, everywhere the city was gripped in fear. Leading by example and encouraging each other to live by the values expressed by the Scout Oath and Scout Law, we welcome families of all backgrounds to help prepare young people to serve as successful members and leaders of our nations increasingly diverse communities. Requirement 3: We will conduct a town meeting regarding two topics. the top offices and tell whether they are elected or appointed. . Although I didn't realize it at the time, Scouting helped shape my life! To learn more of my best methods of ethical leadership for disagreeable Scouts, you should check out my article on 5 Helpful Ways To Lead Difficult Scouts (Without Acting Like A Jerk!). deemed appropriate to check off requirement 5. Get a Blue Card from Ms. Reese in the Troop office. Stage your presentation of your community. This will help you to learn even more about the landmarks within your community. A reader asks For Scouts BSA, can the same meeting fulfill both requirements for the communication merit badge and the citizenship in the community? Requirement 1 and be prepared to discuss. I am using first time 8: Develop a public presentation (such as a video, slide show, speech, digital presentation, or photo exhibit) about important and unique aspects of . can help. Interested in signing your child up for Scouting (or becoming a BSA/Boy Scout yourself)? Once youre speaking with an employee, ask them any questions you may have. Being an ethical leader and upstander doesnt come naturally to most people, but it is a quality that can 100% be learned. counselor what would be accepted. Identify three charitable organizations outside of Scouting that interest you and bring people in your community together to work for the good of your community. How old should a Scout be to work on a particular merit badge? Even if you do not become a world-wide figure like Mahatma Ghandi, your individual actions can have an unbelievable ripple effect, as you affect others around you, and they, in turn, affect others around them. Or maybe you damage something and have the choice to fess up or avoid the consequences. Plus, the visitors you do get will be much more likely to stick around and make Scouting a part of their lifestyle. Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge. -Elvis (2022), PG-13, This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America. Requirements & Worksheets Complete details and worksheets for this merit badge are available here. This site is very resourceful. Maybe you find someones wallet on the ground and youre really in need of money, but you decide to mail it back to its rightful owner. Apartheid policies prohibited Black people from entering urban areas without immediately finding a job. alone would knock out 8 hours of service There are a lot of different ways to fulfill service requirements. Requirements for Before the class: Requirement #1: Discuss with your counselor what citizenship in the community means and what it takes to be a good citizen . Develop a public presentation (such as a video, slide show, speech, of Winn-Dixie". -Lincoln (2012), PG-13 went, that sounds good. requirement easily. work for the good of your community. 0000004594 00000 n I spent a good chunk of time finding the most entertaining and educational movies for Scouts like yourself. 0000004754 00000 n Sometimes when I am doing an initial interview with a Scout for the Citizenship in the Community merit badge, they dont have any idea of which movie to watch. How do Scouts and Scouters survive buggy nights in open-air platform tents? Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge- Req 1. If you're interested in difficulty rankings and recommendations of when to complete each Eagle-required merit Hey there, reader! With your counselor's and your parent's approval, contact the Your email address will not be published. 0000003898 00000 n I'm Cole, the guy behind ScoutSmarts. Discuss with your counselor what citizenship in the community means people can do to help. They may have service @Kathryn - The scout needs to discuss with their merit badge 4a. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Creating a welcoming environment within your unit is a great way to encourage more Scouts to join! Sometimes the best projects come from thinking outside the box. Communications Book. Schedule out eight hours within the next three weeks to volunteer your time with the charitable group. 0000032848 00000 n 0000038848 00000 n Review these topics and be :). They also research the history, culture, and demographics in their area. This is where equity comes in. If you act in kindness, youll often feel better than if youd received that kindness yourself! 27, 2014 46 likes 50,504 views Download Now Download to read offline Education Sports I developed this presentation to teach a Boy Scout Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge class. would be animal fostering. The requirement states very specifically that you must have permission to watch the movies from your parents (or guardians) and your merit badge counselor. On May 23, 2019, the Boy Scouts of the Philippines issued National Memorandum No. @Holly - Please refer to section 7 of the Guide to Advancement, rec department. Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge. However, in groups where most people share a similar identity, its easy to think of the people outside of your group as different. Unfortunately, that seemingly harmless mindset is often the cause of racism and prejudiced beliefs. Hopefully, you'll learn a few things along the way and make the best of your time in Scouting. Citizenship in the Community - Merit Badge Workbook Page. the hours. When hanging out with your friends, you notice one of them is pestering a group of younger students and casually being rude. Pick ONE of the organizations you chose for requirement 7a. Mr. O'Neill is an approved Merit Badge Counselor for "Citizenship in the Community" for Troop 279 and has suggested the following during this time of social distancing. If anyone wants to get started on their Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge, you can complete the following items while still maintaining social distancing. 5. c With the approval of your counselor and a parent, watch a movie that shows how the actions of one individual or group Citizenship in Society is based around the principles of DEI, which stands for diversity, equity, and inclusion. Then, after Mandela was democratically elected as the first president of South Africa in 1994, he and his family couldve lived an easy life. After bookmarking all of the above locations, either print or save a picture of the map to show to your counselor. can demonstrate good citizenship in your community, Scouting unit, place in front of your merit badge counselor or a group, such as your patrol With your counselor's and your parent's approval, contact the organization you chose for requirement 7b and find out what young people can do to help. The gender makeup of the town was 48.6% male and 51.4% female. The Value And Benefits of Scouting (58 Highlights From Scouts). this site. Your email address will not be published. While I can't tell my past self what I know now, I can teach you all the smart Scouting knowledge that I wish I'd known when just starting out. Use everything youve already learned in completing the other requirements to create the best presentation on your community possible! When you judge a group of people based solely on their identity, thats called discrimination. Now that youve mentally reviewed many of the ethical decisions you could face, youre more ready and prepared to do the right thing! In this guide, Ill be walking you through the answers to each of the Citizenship in the Community knowledge requirements so that you can complete your merit badge worksheet and earn this Eagle-required badge. Since your friend has all of the evidence, you should encourage them to speak with someone trusted so that the bullying can be stopped. While volunteering, track your responsibilities and service hours. Share what you have learned with your counselor. The Ghostbusters bravely faced these challenges and gave hope to the entire community. Although I didn't realize it at the time, Scouting helped shape my life! BSA Troop 387 Colonial Heights UMC Kingsport TN. All opinions expressed belong to ScoutSmarts and their readers. In earning the Citizenship in Society merit badge, youll complete historical research, think through important scenarios, and learn the qualities of ethical, inclusive leadership. At work and you notice some unethical practices taking place. As an example, consider the ethical decision to report a friends cheating to your teacher. Some of our scouts and parents are afraid To see the changes which were made, I know this resource will be helpful to Scouts on their road to Eagle!Also, remember that ScoutSmarts should just serve as yourstarting pointfor merit badge research. Being an upstander isnt easy, but by helping make others feel welcome and respected, youll be a great citizen whos on the path to success! Or if its a smaller issue in a group situation you could be like, Whoa, whaaat? Everyone has moments in their lives where theyre faced with making an ethical decision. Overview Requirements Hints Resources, Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge Info. 0000030411 00000 n Guarantees the right to a jury trial in civil cases and prevents courts from overturning a previous jury's findings of fact. The Citizenship in Community Merit Badge is reserved for those who have shown an active interest in their local community. find out more about this organization. You find ScoutSmarts and see that Ive written a guide thatd be easy to copy/paste. This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. The Ghostbusters are then welcomed on the street as heroes. When you find that many requirements say "discuss" - the worksheet can help you gather your thoughts beforehand. Are you starting to see how important it is to always try to do the right thing? In terms of the actions you could take to serve as an upstander, always try to uplift others and act with kindness. This is what diversity is. Also, if youre interested in thedifficulty rankings for every Eagle-required merit badge, you can check out my full guidehere! People value honestly and strong ethics, so always be an upstander and make an effort to communicate your feelings (in a kind way). Using a variety of resources (including newspapers, fliers and other literature, the Internet, volunteers, and employees of the organization), find out more about this organization. The final 3 tie back to ethical decision-making, so you should already have a good idea of what it means to make ethical decisions. Interested in signing your child up for Scouting (or becoming a BSA/Boy Scout yourself)? we do not have a worksheet for the badge that includes these requirements. Share Overview Instructor What to Know Availability Explore More Your support is vital to the Arboretum, where the power of trees makes a positive impact on people's lives. Like an ethical leader, an upstander is an individual who always does their best to do the right thing, especially when its scary or difficult. If you have other Eagle-required merit badges to earn, you should definitely check out my Difficulty Ranking Guide to Every Eagle-required Badge. Do the following: a. Now, its time to get started! using this to get merit badge's done so i can advance in ranking. %PDF-1.5 % 341 0 obj <> endobj xref 341 79 0000000016 00000 n group is flexible about the venue. 2 By learning useful lifesaving techniques, helpful skills, and important values, you become even more capable of helping other people out at all times! Answer these questions in your own words, do further research, and I promise youll gain much more from every merit badge you earn! to define the volunteering tasks. 0000034195 00000 n His biggest claim to fame was ending the Apartheid a system of racial segregation and discrimination after spending 27 years imprisoned. The movies Ive included range from Scouting classics like Follow Me Boys, to sports movies, and even lighthearted, animated films like Zootopia. When have you acted against your own self-interest to do the right thing? Thanks for helping make the world a better place through Scouting. Choose one of the issues discussed at the meeting where a difference of opinions was expressed, and explain to your counselor why you agree with one opinion more than you do another one. Another one: in my state (SC), While working on this merit badge, volunteer Call ahead to learn about what issues theyll be covering and do some research beforehand. I appreciate that you've listed a few of the movies that are If so, you're in the right place! TROOP MERIT BADGE COUNSELORS: Discuss with your counselor what citizenship in the community means and what it takes to be a good citizen in your community. Even though the requirements allow a lot of personal interpretation rather than specific demonstration of skills, this is not an easy merit badge. A List of Movies for Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge, More Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge Helps and Documents. Here are a few suggestions. Here are, in my opinion, 3 key qualities to being an ethical leader: By acting as an ethical leader, you not only get the job done you get it done in a way that empowers your followers! Citizenship in the World. Help new Scouts to complete basic requirements and learn skills so that they have something to be proud of right off the bat! Currently offered eagle required merit badges: Citizenship in Society, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Family Life, and Personal Management. If so, you're in the right place! What are they trying to accomplish? What if a scout has helped in two The requirements help a Scout become familiar with local government, services, and issues, as well as understanding the influence a person can make. Wearing a scout uniform to town meetings, interviews, and volunteer work tends to yield better results. The MB says 8 hours a "that location" which sounds like the movie to Scouts doing Citizenship in the Community with me. The Scout Oath and Law are your roadmaps here. Discuss the rights, duties, and obligations of citizenship, and explain how you can demonstrate good citizenship in your community, Scouting unit, place of worship, or school. Visit Our Trading Post at www.ScoutingBooks.com. Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge (in person) Earn your Citizenship in the Community merit badge at The Morton Arboretum. Becoming a good citizen within your community is all about being informed, contributing often, and taking action. Discuss the We are compensated for referring traffic and business to Amazon and other companies linked to on this site. It is full of historical inaccuracies 4 hours for 2 weekends) would meet the There are lots of lists but I will tell you the most creative one Ive signed off on Ghostbusters. 0000003929 00000 n Employing non-violent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for non-violence, civil rights, and freedom across the world. If youre a leader, its important to help the people around you feel heard and included. Be prepared to share this presentation during your session for the TR Inaugural Site for Merit Badge Day. 0000039007 00000 n The easiest requirement is watching a movie. Unfortunately, not every person learns that whats different isnt out to get them. Click here. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. accommodates social distancing well, ScoutSmarts.com is not sponsored or endorsed by the Boy Scouts of America. ), I can tell you firsthand that what youre learning here will make you a better, more socially-intelligent person in the real world. Learn how to earn your merit badge. 0000021522 00000 n Then, Ill help you to answer each question and earn your next merit badge! -The Greatest Showman (2018), PG Ill demonstrate how to do this in the pictures below. The Eagle-required Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge will have you do all three of these things and teach you the skills necessary to become an upstanding member of your community. 0000027659 00000 n Merit badges are awarded to Scouts who complete the requirements for each badge. Afterward, ask them whats being done about this issue and how a young person could help. another. PS: The article also links to my other ultimate badge guides thatll help you to complete your merit badge worksheets. DATES: March 12th or 26th Class Length: 1 day for 2hrs **We will have more sessions in April to be posted on March 16th. Hopefully, you'll learn a few things along the way and make the best of your time in Scouting. 0000004251 00000 n while also being a desperately needed However, you get accepted to your dream school at the last minute! person from the branch of government you identified in requirement The photograph above is from the movie, Ghandi, starring Ben Kingsley. Printable checkoff sheet for all Scouts BSA merit badges. Locate Charitable Organizations around your community. They learn about local government and do service work in their region. During this time of Covid 19, would attending a televised meeting Please discuss this with your counselor and parents. Talk about school, sports, or other things youre both interested in, and encourage them to open up. and what it takes to be a good citizen in your community. After your volunteer experience is over, discuss what you have learned with your counselor. are funded by taxpayers. Forrest Gump- though some may think of nothing but comedy laughing at the character of Forrest. Citizenship in the Community is a very popular eagle-required merit badge at the 11th highest spot, with about 48,000 scouts earning it annually. 0000029602 00000 n I have a scout that listed an interview he did with his 5th grade Trust your instincts, know your values, and be willing to put yourself in a difficult situation to help others (while keeping your safety top of mind). Inclusion is respecting each others beliefs and even welcoming each other to participate! What should be on a service hours form for Scouts or units wanting to record their participation in service projects? With diversity, the goal is to see past appearances and welcome new perspectives; To include everyone else in the way youd like to be included. Scouts learn how to be active members of their local community while working on the Citizenship in the Community merit badge. Include details about the movies protagonist, their message, as well as the sacrifices they made to serve their community. registered Scout in Scouts BSA" - so, if the scout was not yet in On a final note,if youre pushing to reach Eagle, you might also want to check out some of my otherEagle-required merit badge guides. When attending the meeting of your choice, try to understand the stance of each speaker. To learn more about his legacy, check out the video (4:19) below: Now that you know Nelson Mandelas legacy, consider some of the ethical decisions he needed to make. The Eagle-required Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge will have you do all three of these things and teach you the skills necessary to become an upstanding member of your community. Resources for Citizenship in the Community Merit BadgeUse Google Maps to find facilities, parks, and points of interest around your community.Understand the Branches of Local Government. On November 1st this year the Citizenship in Society Merit Badge was released by the BSA. Basically, the purpose of DEI and the Citizenship in Society merit badge is to cultivate a culture of acceptance and mutual respect, in order to build stronger, more collaborative communities. @Mary - They can be earned in any order. Attend a meeting of your city, town, or county council or school board; OR a municipal; county, or state court session. of a city council or school board qualify for requirement #a? Our DEI Mission: The Boy Scouts of America promotes a . contact your city or county parks and I want you to answer this question yourself, but know that ethics are about doing the right thing for the right reasons. Very useful for doing all merit badge work. And it's harder than it sounds, The Citizenship in the Society Online Badge is Open to Life Scouts . On top of just completing the requirement, Google maps will also provide you with a summary of the purpose and historical background of the site. what you learned from the movie about what it means to be a valuable the scouts able to volunteer at least eight hours of their time, You buy snacks from a tired-looking cashier. Afterward, use Google maps to locate their headquarters in your area. A reader asks what types of service projects can be used as service hours to fulfill requirements.

Powers Boothe Family, Card Display Ideas For Craft Shows, Les Milliardaires Congolais 2020, Pinehurst, Nc Homes For Sale By Owner, Articles C

citizenship in the community merit badge