13th virginia regiment revolutionary war

At the time, and unknown to Hull, only 100 men of the 41st Regiment, along with 300 militiamen and 150 Indians, defended Fort Malden. . On the other hand, they were fearful of being attacked on our frontiers by the British and Indians out of Detroit. [H]e states that he was engaged in a skirmish with the Indians on Greenbrier River in said State of Virginia. During the Gettysburg Campaign it was left at Winchester as provost guard. While at Fort Pitt he was sent out on a campaign under the command of Col Gibson and Crawford. Sullivan for that purpose, and hope your Excellency will Give such directions as will Enable him to Return as soon as possible.5 I am with the Utmost Respect your Excellencys most Obedient humble Servt. We found a Methodist book belonging to him inside Byrnsides Fort, discussed in the above post. While Hull dithered and delayed at Detroit, worrying about his supply lines through Ohio and along the Lake Erie shore, he received news that the American base at Mackinac had fallen to the British on July 17. Reprint (1st work). While it is impossible to track every unit that fought in the Revolutionary War due to all the militia this is a good starting point for understanding where your ancestor may have fought and what they endured during the war. That he entered the Service of the United States under the following named Officers and Served as herein Stated. Ans. [T]hat he first marched from Ben Bevers (Van Bibbers) ford (probably fort) to the part of Virginia known by the name of the Wilderness and continued scouting through the Wilderness to keep of [off] the Indians during said tower [tour] of nine months. I procured a substitute by the name of Joshua Boucher to whom I paid $50 to take my place for three months which he done. Likewise, the Indians were somewhat divided in their loyalties, with the Delawares and Cherokee loosely hanging onto the Americans, and the Shawnee, and others, openly and actively engaging in warfare against the American settlers. Theres strong evidence through these narratives that our fort was in active military use from around 1774 through 1782, which for the most part is the entire timeline of Lord Dunmores War and the American Revolution. It appears that there were musters at Byrnsides Fort for expeditions to Kentucky to assist George Rogers Clark in 1778, and also again in 1781. The 13th Virginia Regiment was authorized on 16 September 1776 by the Continental Congress for service with the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. I have a record of my age in a very old family Bible now in my possession. Either Hamiltons Fort is the same fort as Arbuckles Fort, or Arbuckles Fort was gone by 1777. James Armstrong was in command. Mordecai Myers's Co. Capt. Revolutionary War, 1076: 783-802, 1077:860-867 (CSR); Heitman, Register, 249 A Choice Body of Men: The Continental Army on the Upper Ohio . Also competing for power in the region was Col. William Crawford, who commanded various militia units around Fort Pitt at this time. Here's a list of over 20 Black-owned restaurants and bars that you can visit to celebrate Black History Month in Pensacola. Eckenrode, H. J. Virginia soldiers of the American Revolution. he says the News of Burgoynes Surrender had not Reached there.4, Lt Cane was ordered down the Country to Bring up the Cloathing for the Remainder of the 13th Virga Regt now here, But as the Cloathing is not Yet Arrived, and the men Being in the most distressed Condition, I have now sent Capt. In the Lutheran church-yard, with the solemn burial-service of the Episcopal Church, [Pg 17] Mr. Holstein committed his remains to the grave. That in the spring of 1777 he entered the servis of his countary and served against the Indians as herein stated That he was living in Augustia [sic: Augusta] County Virginia in that part that is now the county of Greenbrier That oweing to the depredations committed by the Indians on the Inhabitants along the new settlements in Western Virginia the people were compelled to errect Fort for their protection and Government ordered a number of men to be stationed in each Fort or garrison for their defence in case they was attacked by Indians and to scout by turns on scouting and spying parties to watch the aproach of the Indians, For this purpose on the first of April 1777 he volinteered under the command of Captain William Hamilton [pension application R4513] and was stationed in a garrison scituated on Muddy creek and range and reconnoiter along the Medow river [sic: Meadow River] and cross over onto the waters of New River thence return to the Fort dureing this season they had no engagement with the Indians. In a strategic attempt to divert the enemys attention from these campaigns, Washington requested that Brodhead resume his expedition along the Allegheny. In 1777 when he was 40 years old, David Scott served as a captain in the 13th Regiment of Virginia Militia during the American Revolution. The regiment was disbanded at Fort Pitt on 1 January 1783. (From http://www.myrevolutionarywar.com/states/va/va-13.htm), I didnt find my ancestor on your list, so here is his information, plus the names of the colonels he served under, in case you are still adding names to the site. The mission ended up getting canceled and repurposed. Samuel Haring's Co. Capt. Summary [ edit] The 13th Virginia Regiment was authorized on 16 September 1776 by the Continental Congress for service with the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. He is most noted for signing a treaty of alliance with the United States in September 1778. It reported 16 casualties at Cross Keys and Port Republic, 111 at Gaines Mill, 34 at Cedar Mountain, 46 at Second Manassas, 22 at Fredericksburg, and 36 at Chancellorsville. This undoubtedly contained whiskey and flour. Sullivan settled out west after the war. Virginia had sent George Rogers Clark on his expedition west, and now he was poised to take Detroit. Gibson served as lieutenant colonel of the 13th Virginia Regiment from November 1776 to October 1777, when he became colonel of the 6th Virginia. In those days, you could avoid a military draft by hiring someone else to go in your place. that sending the 13th Virginia companies at Valley Forge to Fort Pitt would result in similar demands being made by members of the 12th Virginia and the 8th and 12th Pennsylvania regiments. He was stationed in Greenbrier County but was frequently sent as a spy out of that County in pursuit of Indians. description ends , 10:22526, 247, 253, 260; Russells undated letter to Congress is in DNA:PCC, item 78). with another letter from Russell on the same subject, but it postponed consideration of the Board of Wars report on the matter (JCC description begins Worthington Chauncey Ford et al., eds. Theyre the best documentation we have on life and service on the Virginia frontier. 1778, having lost his entire right forearm due to an injury in the military service. Military Wiki is a FANDOM Lifestyle Community. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. 3. [M[y Father and my self each had a settlement right of 400 acres of land the title to which we perfected[?] Un concours pour mettre en avant des inventeurs africains-amricains The 13th Virginia Regiment was a United States infantry regiment during the American Revolutionary War. Each of these expeditions ended up diverting men to stay and guard the mines, as they were constantly under threat by the local tory groups in the nearby mountains. >"% '^' k:' * n^ >7-, %.^ ^^% ,x^^' - '^. In or about the year 1782 I again volunteered under the same Captain Wright and marched to the relief of Doneleys forts on the frontiers of Greenbrier County with a force of about 45 men commanded by the said Captain Wright whilst at this fort the Shawnee Indians made an attack on the fort and killed 4 men we however repulsed them with several killed & wounded having fulfilled our tour we were discharged. The same promise had been made to the soldiers of Colonel Russell's 13th Virginia. GW ordered Gibson to take command of his former regiment, the 13th Virginia, in the spring of 1778 (see GW to William Russell, Sr., 28 May 1778), and before he retired from the army in January 1783 Gibson also commanded the 9th and 7th Virginia regiments. Militia Publisher Richmond, D. Bottom, superintendent of public printing Collection library_of_congress; americana Digitizing sponsor Sloan Foundation From this service he was discharged but not in writing. Assure yourself Sir we woud not have made this request but in consequence of the intreaties of the inhabitants here and the imminent danger to which we think these frontiers exposed, by thus drawing away the Militia. Prussian, or Polish-into their regiment. He was confronted with the same issues that previous generals had faced before him: shortages of supplies, food, and men. Koquetakeghton was killed while serving as a guide for an American expedition against the British post at Fort Sandusky in November of the same year. It seems likely that West and Wright were a part of the relief force mounted from Camp Union, as described by John Stuart and Matthew Arbuckle as having around 65 men from the local forts. virginia civil war reenactments 2022. I make no doubt Genl Hand has already Acquainted your Excellency of the Situation of Affairs in this Country and of his having gone down to Regulate the Garrisons on the Ohio.2 since he left this place nothing Material has happened. He sided with the French after Braddocks defeat in 1755, taking part in the September 1758 victory over British and provincial troops under the command of Maj. James Grant. . Fourth Connecticut Regiment of Infantry Continental Line. I would doubt that they drove beef cattle, because they would have been using a wilderness trail to reach the destination. Mar 11, 2023 1790 Early Slave Bill of Sale (Virginia) $500. after getting at the latter place I joined the army as a soldier. William was a son of William Harvey II(1744-1819)and Polly Jane Robinson Harvey(1749-1844). That he entered the service of the United States about the first of March in the year 1778 as a drafted militia man in Captain Thomas Wrights Company of the County of Greenbrier State of Virginia to serve a tower [tour] of three months which tower he served, some few days after he joined the said Wrights Company the said company marched to New River in the State aforesaid where his Company was attached to Colonel James Hendersons Regiment. The regiment was disbanded at Fort Pitt on 1 January 1783. View, Print & Share. (James) Graham of danger, which went unheeded, resulting in tragedy: He has heard him [George Dixon] long since relate the circumstance of King Cornstalk being kiled at Point Pleasant in virginia and his expedition to Kentucky with an Express. I was marched back to Greenbrier County virgina. Served the above six months a private as above. This narrative was previously known, and has been often cited as being a good description of the details surrounding service as an Indian Spy, a militia ranger tasked with being the early warning system of an Indian attack, as well as being the quick reaction force in the event of an emergency. [1] James was a dedicated soldier in the American Revolution, serving as 8th Company Captain of the 13th Virginia Continental Regiment, under Major General Nathanael Green. I was born on Wolf Creek near Greenbrier River then called West Augusta now Monroe County in the year 1753 and I have heard it frequent said that I was the first white child ever born in what is now the limits of Monroe County. That between the 20thand 25thof Aprile in that year he was drafted under the command of Captain John Woods to go to New River that he served three months under Captain Woods on New River after which he was discharged and returned to Burnsides Fort. No Spam - just posts. What struck me is the summary of the June 1777, I agree, and checked my source before submitting. The 169-year-old colony declared its independence from Britain. Escrito en 27 febrero, 2023. Service started: Unit (s): Service ended: James O'Neall was born in 1738, the son of Hugh and Anne (Cox) O'Neall. I believe the Brodhead expedition is mentioned in the following narrative by another member of the Greenbrier Militia, who mustered at Byrnsides Fort, in what was most assuredly 1778: The Winckleback application was known. About the year 1779 or 1780 as I think I volunteered under Captain Thomas Wright of Greenbrier County in the State of Virginia in which County I still lived with a body of Militia ordered out by the authority of Virginia. The 13th Virginia Regiment was authorized on 16 September 1776 by the Continental Congress for service with the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. we got behind the army and returned home cant tell why we done so we did not desert some that went on to Kentucky got back home as soon as we did I think I was at least three months gone in this expedition. Authorized by the Second Continental Congress on 16 September 1776, it was organized on 3 February 1777 and consisted of four companies from the Virginia counties of Loudoun, Frederick, Prince William, and Amelia; Captain Daniel Morgan's . In the State of Indiana, Personally appeared before me the undersigned Justice of the peace in and for Warren County in said County, Peter Dixon, aged fifty years, who after being duly sworn deposeth & saith that he has been well acquainted with his Uncle Peter Dixon, who is an applicant for a pension, as this deponent is informed, for services rendered the United States during the War of the Revolution. The 12th Regiment was formed in February 1777. Before this it is believed he. Subscribe now and get each blog post by email. He then discusses the attack at Donnellys Fort. The unit was organized on 12 February 1777 at Fort Pitt in present-day western Pennsylvania to consist of nine companies of troops from the far-western Virginia counties (now parts of West Virginia and western Pennsylvania). Drafted as aforesaid in the month of Febuary seventeen hundred seventy Eight, And marched in the month of March of the same year To Fort Chissell (Chiswell) in Virginia In the Company Commanded by Captain John Henderson under the command of Major Hamilton [probably Andrew Hamilton] stationed at Fort Chisel aforesaid. Gen. Peter Muhlenberg: Of the eight companies in this regiment, four were raised in Pennsylvania and four from Maryland. The settlers who chose to make their homes in the upper Ohio in the mid to late eighteenth century faced a wide variety of, The Fifth Virginia Convention convened in Williamsburg in May 1776 with a weighty agenda before it. 2. The 8th Pennsylvania, also stationed there, was commanded by Col. Daniel Brodhead. I am with due respect, May it please your Excellency your Most Obed. The unit sustained heavy losses at the Battle of Cedar Creek and surrendered at Appomattox Court House with 10 officers and 52 men. William McIlvain's Co. Please add Mathias Shaner, Sargent in the 13th Virgina and a member of Captain James Sullivans Company commanded by Col. William Russel. Molly Pitcher In the American Revolutionary War during the Battle of Monmouth, the Continental Army fought the British Army. Some outfit their troops at personal Lithuanian. Through its grants program, the NHPRC supports a wide range of activities to The American Heroes Channel announces its new Blood and Fury: America's Civil War TV show will premiere Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 10:00pm ET/PT.The series delves into one of the bloodiest chapters in American history. He was also, of all the known pension applications, the individual who was garrisoned in Byrnsides Fort the longest period of time, apparently serving there in 1774, 1776, 1777, 1778, 1779, 1780 and 1781. [While] waiting for the millitia troops from the County of Bedford to arive waited till the grew impatient of waiting, they determined on sending an Express to Kentucky when this declarant and six others of his company was detailed by said officer to Cary said express. Interrogatory 1. Archives Division Publication date 1913 Topics Virginia. That before he entered the service as a spy he took the Oath of Fidelity and the Oath to perform the duties of a Spy That he went into service as a spy on the first day of May 1776 and was discharged on the first of November following, having continued in service six months and until that season of the year arrived when the fear of Indian depredation no longer existed, they having as was their general custom retired to winter quarters. The headquarters of the western part of the Continental Army was Fort Pitt, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He states after he returned home from the tower aforesaid he removed to the County of Montgomery & State of Virginia and in the month of August 1778 he again entered the service of the United States as a volunteer in the company of George Parrish of the County of Montgomery & State aforesaid as an Indian Spy the Company to which he belonged was ordered to guard the frontiers on Knew River [New River] where they were attached to Colonel Taylors Regiment which was commanded by said Taylor. A ,.^ : ^*> s amertcan CommontDealti^si LOUISIANA JISIANA ro ACCOMPANY vERT PHELPS MERICAN . So just to clarify, there were two separate militia musters at Byrnsides Fort, for the Greenbrier Militia to march for Kentucky in order to serve in expeditions under George Rogers Clark: one in 1778, and one in 1781. This week I was reviewing Muster, Payrolls and List of Effectives for Capt Gross Scruggs company of the Fifth Virginia. During the Revolutionary War, Kiashuta promised neutrality, but in 1782 he led an expedition that burned the settlement at Hannastown, Pennsylvania. 3.Simon Girty (17411818), an Indian trader born near Harrisburg, Pa., and raised partly among Seneca Indians, had been employed as an interpreter for the Americans around Fort Pitt as early as 1759 and as a scout during Dunmores War in 1774. On the return, Conewago, Buckloons and Mahusauchikoken were burned.. on one occasion I was out with three other men spying on Gauley River we were in this service for one month I dont know by what authority we were spying but suppose by the direction of Capt Hamilton. Craft's comments since in the first sentence, he refers to the "peace, security and national, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION 2018, The 100 Best American Revolution Books of All Time, A Choice Body of Men: The Continental Army on the Upper Ohio, Virginias Independent Frontier Companies, Part 2 of 2, Perspectives on the Ten Crucial Days of the Revolution, This Week on Dispatches: Gene Procknow on Ethan Allen and Revolutionary-Era Newspapers. This is a list of British units which took part in the American Revolutionary Wa https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Washington/03-12-02-0514, From Washington to Gibson [29 December 1777], All correspondence between Washington and Gibson, National Historical Publications and This scouting party was under the command of Lieut. Their Wives and Children were soon after forced to fly into Forts, to escape the danger of a savage Enemy, at a time when provisions were scarce in that part of the Country and must have suffered much since. Left Valley Forge in May 1778 for Fort Pitt. Benjamin' Harrison Company - 13th Virginia Regiment" of Fairfax, Virginia, USA, as well as other members of the Reed "Revolutionary War - Capt. Through its grants program, the NHPRC supports a wide range of activities to The reason for this was that some of the mountain-folk of Montgomery County were organizing for a takeover of the Lead Mines at Fort Chiswell. However, they had threats opening up on all fronts, and decided that discretion was the better part of valor. The regiment saw action in the Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Germantown, and the Battle of Monmouth. In response, the said Greenbrier Militia officers, Andrew Donnally, Samuel Brown, and Andrew Hamilton, penned the following response to Jefferson: A Letter from your Excellency of the 24th of December directing that 137 Men of the Militia of this County shoud forthwith be raised and sent to the County of Kentucky to join Colo. Clarke, and serve under him this ensueing Summer on an Expedition against the Indians in Consequence of which We have given orders to Draft that Number together with Proper Officers to Command them, amounting to 146 effective Men; so large a number out of a Militia scarcely 550 strong lying in a County exposed to the daily inroads of the Indians, fill[s] us with much uneasiness about the dangers we are like[ly] to suffer from this weakening of our Militia, especially at a time when we cannot expect to be reinforced from any of the interiour Counties, shoud any such danger arise. But, it was too late. Marched to McAfees Station on Salt River, where Capt. 13th Virginia Regiment - Brandywine Soldiers Category: 13th Virginia Regiment "The 13th Virginia Regiment was authorized on 16 September 1776 by the Continental Congress for service with the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. Rockingham County Virginia to secure the marriage of Daniel Trout to Catharine Grub b.] [23 March 1820]. Organized February 1777 at Fort Pitt from Yohogania, Monongalia, and Ohio Counties. Mar 11, 2023 [Revolutionary War] Gold Pin Inscribed w/ KIA Officer's Name $225. The return includes three companies of the 13th Virginia Regiment and two companies of independent Virginia troops, a total of 256 men, including 15 commissioned officers, 28 noncommissioned officers, and 213 rank and file. The 13th Virginia Regiment was a United States infantry regiment during the American Revolutionary War. The first commander of the Twenty-first was E. L. Dudley, of Lexington, who died February 20, 1862. Capture a web page as it appears now for use as a trusted citation in the future. In a letter to Washington, Brodhead described the incident: Ten miles this side of Conewago, Lieut. The regiment was formally authorized as a unit of the Continental Army on September 16, 1776. This one was also a new find. However, it ties in nicely with the Griffin narrative, in that they both describe being mustered to transport supplies for James Byrnside, almost certainly via packhorse, to the Fort Pitt region. Next, Littleton West discusses being drafted to go to Kentucky in the early 1780s, and that he couldnt go because he had gotten married by then, so he found a substitute. Drafted in February, 1780, under Capt. he was a regular officer if the united states Army. old the 2ndday of November next in the year 1773 I settled with my Father on Muddy creek Greenbrier county and have lived there ever since. The 13th Virginia was commanded by Col. John Gibson (previously Col. William Russel). Note: The annotations to this document, and any other He does not know in what month. Thomas Wright, of Greenbrier, for the alleged purpose of going against the Indians at Detroit, but was marched by Crytes (probably Crisswell) lead mines to the head of Holston, and thence to Logan Station, Ky., where it was decided that the troops were not to go to Detroit. They had other offensive plans, to take the war to the Indians. Left Valley Forge in May 1778 for Fort Pitt. It fought mostly with the Army of Northern Virginia. In May of 1778, Washington appointed Brigadier General Lachlan McIntosh, of Georgia, to succeed Gen. Hand in running the entire Western Department primarily Fort Pitt. We marched from Greenbrier County in the said State under the command of Captain T. Wright and Colonel J Henderson with about 30 men to Burnsides on the Frontier of said County of Greenbrier in said state where we were stationed for protecting the frontier settlements. He also sometimes went in company with the late Colonel Samuel Estill of Kentuckey; [T]hat the place where he performed the aforesaid services as an Indian Spy was in the gaps and low places in the chain of mountains between William Laffertys plantation on New River and the head waters of Laurel Creek where they met the Spies from Burnsides Fort. Save Page Now. The regiment contained, likewise, a large number of private soldiers from Bourbon. The application contains an amendment, this time with more detail: [W]hile he was stationed at Fort McIntosh, he was sent out with fifteen or twenty others on a scouting party; while out on this party they were attacked by about forty Indians and succeeded in killing a great many of them. 34 vols. Publication Title: Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783 Publisher: NARA Short Description: NARA M246. Henry Baughman to protect a company of movers to Kentucky. They had marched [26 Jun 1778] some considerable time before we arived at said station. It was again reorganized and redesignated as the 7th Virginia Regiment on 1 January 1781 to consist of two companies. public. C. 11 , on the 13th and 14th days of August, 1856. la Thu Convention root at 11 o'clock on Wed ova- pi day, the 14th Inst., in the Papot Building. These documents include muster rolls, payrolls, strength returns, and other miscellaneous personnel, pay, and supply records of American Army units, 1775-83. 13th NY Volunteers, 79th NY State Militia : Old Tyke: Before Time: Union Infantry (Micro . 1 Image Add a Fact Owner: Fold3_Team Anyone can contribute Created: 10 Oct 2013 Modified: 10 Oct 2013 View Count: 32 (Recent: 1) That he was Inlisted by Capt James Burnsides at his House, Greenbrier County Virginia for 18 months & was marched to Pittsburg Pensylvania where he was mustered into the 13th Regt. After remaining there some six or eight weeks he was marched back to Woodses fort near New River in Greenbrier County (Woods Fort, 4 mi NE of Peterstown now in Monroe County WV) and was kept employed in guarding Indians and Tories. Read the email, or read online! He started to the place of rendezvous on or about the 14thday of February and met at James Byrnsides the place of rendezvous on the 15thday of that month 1781. This is a comprehensive list of Americans in the Revolutionary War. The regiment saw much hard fighting during the war. Uniforms of the American Revolution. The 13th Virginia Infantry Regiment was an infantry regiment raised in central and western Virginia for service in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War.

Did Catherine O'hara Play A Nurse On Mash, Metaphors About Discrimination, Articles OTHER

13th virginia regiment revolutionary war